Milled a little Juniper today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I finally went back to work today and got a couple of pictures of a Juniper to see if it's similar to what you have, and if anyone can come up with the botanical name.
MillingJuniper003-1.jpg

Andy

Interesting bark... here in east we call that alligator bark for obvious reasons, and up in NE, there are only two common trees that have bark like that, persimmon and older gum trees. I am sure your tree is neither of those, as it does look like one of the junipers.

Looks like cryptomeria japonica. If the needles don't stick you when you touch it then it's usually not juniper. If its crypromeria then it's cedar. True cedar. Juniper is also cedar as a log but not as a tree. Nice looking tree why is tagged for removal?

This is a State Forestry job and for some reason not known by me they mark leave trees with blue paint. It get's confusing. One of my first State Forestry jobs was marked this way, I sent a couple of guy's out to start cutting and they cut the trees marked with blue (duh). The State had to come out and remark a couple of acres, and were not happy.:chainsaw:

Andy

Interesting bark... here in east we call that alligator bark for obvious reasons, and up in NE, there are only two common trees that have bark like that, persimmon and older gum trees. I am sure your tree is neither of those, as it does look like one of the junipers.

I'm sure it's a Juniper, I'm just going to have to do a little homework to make sure which one.

Andy

Western Juniper

Juniperus occidentalis
identified by Hooker 1838
Common Names
Western, Sierra or yellow juniper; yellow or western red cedar (Peattie 1950).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Many are nearly 500 years old.
Most if not all main trunks are narled and twisted and are used to create some very beautiful, unique, rustic furniture.

Nice looking mill

Ive never seen one that used a VW engine. I assume yourve got power to spare...

Ive never seen one that used a VW engine. I assume yourve got power to spare...

Yep, plenty of power. I went with the VW because it's more cost effective than a big Kohler or Onan, and very easy to work on. In the last 10 years the price of parts have gone up, but so has everything else and I haven't needed many parts. It's pretty easy on fuel too. If you empty the 6 gallon boat tank I have on it, you've put in a pretty good day.

Andy

Juniper identification

Red:

Juniper does have a berry that is actually a cone. They are typically up to 1/4 inch in dia. and a bluish/green in color. Look for those although not every tree will have those.

The pics you've posted sure seem to be a cedar or false cedar and not a juniper.

Juniper and cedar are closely related and both very aromatic.
I would not have any concern about having either juniper or cedar woods in my home.

I would have concerns and take precautions regarding any sawdust inhalation.

I spent a little time in the last few day's straightening the edges of the 1x6's, and started putting the T&G on them today. With only a table saw & a router table is a hard way to make panneling, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Here's a couple of picture's.

MillingJuniper001-2.jpg

MillingJuniper005-1.jpg

Andy

I spent a little time in the last few day's straightening the edges of the 1x6's, and started putting the T&G on them today. With only a table saw & a router table is a hard way to make panneling, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Here's a couple of picture's.

MillingJuniper001-2.jpg

MillingJuniper005-1.jpg

Andy

Very nice looking paneling!!! The finished product of doing something "The hard way" is very satisfying to me as well.

Latest posts

Back