Milled Some Ash Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice! I love curly maple. That's one log I hope to score around here. We have a fair number of sugar and red maples on the streets around town. I need to get in touch with the city's arborist...

I feel that there's something so cool about making something that people use, tools, instruments, things like that. Thanks for sharing.

Yea,figured maple is hard to beat for good looks.It shrinks alot during seasoning though.It's my favorite wood to look at.

Nice looking projects.
And here I use it for work benches, and truck frames.

That's a good use for it,as it has good wear qualities and strength.It makes good bucher blocks ,flooring as well.The soft species such as red maple are unsuited for these though,but still can have nice figure.

Nice job! Do you do your own fretwork if so how long did it take you to get good at it?? I had the hardest time filing the frets (leveling) and trying to get the back to their original profile afterwards, I had a fret file with the interchangeable tips it was a cheaper one thought if I do it again I would order a video from stewart mac on fretting!! Any tips??

Yes i do always.They all go in one at a time with a press.I made some radius fixtures to press them in with so there is very little leveling which saves the fret height.I do one at a time so i don't have to put as much pressure on the board as that could crack the large inlays i do when the fret goes through the pearl.They get easier the more you do them.;)

I was in a hurry and didn't look the first time at the second pic holy cow thats some nice inlay work!! Sweet job like the shape of the headstock too!!

Latest posts

Back