Milled Some Oak Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took the mill out today and milled some Black Oak. My two friends had never milled before so I let them try the mill out and they are now as hooked as I am. We cut 24 pieces all total.

The mil ran great and I did hit my first nail, just nicked it so I didn't wreck the chain. Touched it up and ran the rest of the day. Here are few pictures.

Some of the logs
attachment.php

My friends Milling for the first time.
attachment.php

Me the boards/mill
attachment.php

My first nail
attachment.php

Some of the wood
attachment.php

jerry-

Fabtastic Pics - thanks for posting.

Addictive isn't it!

Every time I turn a slab the expectations are "Like Xmas as a kid"!

Cheers

Bob,

Yes it is addictive. We have another big tree to mill, but it's going to be raining again all next week. Some of the pieces had some nice fiddling in the,
We trimmed the slabs that had bad wood and stacked/sticker-ed them in the shed.

Cool Wood
attachment.php

Put to bed for a couple of years. BTY, the walls of this shed are made from Pacific Coast Ceder.
attachment.php

I brought the crouch wood home with me to dry in my shop.

jerry-

Diggin' the shot of ya with all of em spread out.

that coupled with the pattern in which you swept up,
looks like a "CSM'ers Zen Garden," :laugh:

i finished slabbing a big oak a couple weeks ago,pretty tough stuff.
then just the other day i cut up a bunch of short tulip wood sections, man it cut like butter. the oak cut more like i was using a butter-knife!

pics coming up:)

I'm impressed that your neighbors would let you mill that many slabs in your driveway!
attachment.php

Some of my neighbors would have the noise police around in 5 minutes.

Where I mill was on a 75 acre ranch in front of the house. The house is a quarter mile from the road and the nearest neighbor is 2 miles away. Noise is not a problem. We brought the logs in with his John Deer and set them where we wanted to mill. It was pretty nice.

We did make a considerable amount of saw dust. We filled a garbage can for his mothers compost pile four times.

jerry-

Diggin' the shot of ya with all of em spread out.

That coupled with the pattern in which you swept up,
looks like a "CSM'ers Zen Garden," :laugh:

** Never noticed the pattern. Pretty cool!

i finished slabbing a big oak a couple weeks ago,pretty tough stuff.
then just the other day i cut up a bunch of short tulip wood sections, man it cut like butter. the oak cut more like i was using a butter-knife!

** We'll be waiting to the pictures.

jerry-

Nice stuff there Jerry,

I hate to think of all the kewl stuff that I have bucked and split over the years.

And some of the best I kicked to the side. The crotches and other funky grained (read impossible to split) was always on my sht list.

I have developed a strong affection to the gnarly stuff.

Nice work Man!

Latest posts

Back