Milled Some Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivadesl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was able to mill some oak yesterday. I got these from a guy who took down a bunch of birch and oak and was cutting it for firewood. So I took the opportunity and had him leave some 8+ footers so I could try milling. I had always wanted to try this, just needed some logs. Originally I wanted to move the logs to my house for milling later, than decided to just get the CSM and have at it. The roughest part for me, was assembling the milling rails, and setting up for the first cut. Finally after readying for my cut, and pulling the trigger, the mill vibrated loose, and I clipped the blade guard. AGGGHH thats frustrating, fortunately I brought two new chains, and swapped them out. Made sure all was tight, and was able to get 4 slabs before it got to late in the day to continue. Anyway I was thrilled with the slabs, the grain was beautiful, and I'll be going back periodically for the next month or so to clean up. I can see this can become an obsession, its very satisfying to slab out the log. I chose to cut the bark off at home using my circular saw, which left some great looking oak lumber. I've got some photos my friends took, and will post these as soon as they send them to me. Thanks to all for helping me get started.

So got a bunch of photos, but am unable to attach these so bear with me until the management gets me straightened out.:confused: I followed the directions here but I'd rather be doing other things than messing with this @#$*!! computer software.

So got a bunch of photos, but am unable to attach these so bear with me until the management gets me straightened out.:confused: I followed the directions here but I'd rather be doing other things than messing with this @#$*!! computer software.

One easy way to get photos into your posts is set up an account on photobucket.com (free) and then dump your pics there. From photobucket just cut and paste the link to your pic (click on the link button under the pic) and use that link when inserting the pic in your post using the InsertImage button above.

One easy way to get photos into your posts is set up an account on photobucket.com (free) and then dump your pics there. From photobucket just cut and paste the link to your pic (click on the link button under the pic) and use that link when inserting the pic in your post using the InsertImage button above.

Been there too. That's how I do it. Don't forget to change the size preference to 640 x 3-- something or other.

OK, I tried something like this last night, but it didn't work. Very frustrating, so I hoped someone wood lend a hand, so thanks Woodshop for clearing that up. These are the photos I took which at least satisfies my need to POST SOME KIND OF PHOTO!!! Looking at all the cool stuff you guys mill made me want to get in the game so to speak. My friend who helped me with this, took all kinds of photos, which I will try to work on posting as well. Shouldn't be to hard now that I've identified the "insert image" button.:biggrinbounce2:

First is the set up which took so much time to get right:
IMG_0708.jpg

I used unistrut rails as demonstrated by fellow AS members. Hope no one minds me borrowing the idea.

Peeling the candy wrapper:

IMG_0710.jpg

After final trimming back a couple of slabs back home:

IMG_0711_edited.jpg

Excellent pics, nice oak boards ya got there. Are those kids your cheerleaders? Are you a woodworker by any chance?

Thanks guys. Yes that is my son in the camo jacket, and my buddies son also It was an all boys kind of day, but hope to get my girls involved sometime. I've got a decent woodshop and would like to try some different projects with the oak, maybe a nice rustic type bench to start. Of course like most of us its a balancing act between the house, family, hobbies, and a real job. Milling is definitely satisfying, wouldn't it be nice to make six figures milling and selling lumber! Well we can dream, but still I'm happy just getting outdoors amongst the trees, and taking on projects in the spare time. A few more photos as promised. Again thanks for helping out, you guys make this a great site. I hope I can contribute more as I go along.

DSCN24321-1.jpg

DSCN23991.jpg

DSCN24471.jpg

Sweet Boards - and as others have said - welcome to the addiction.:cheers:

Suggestion: see if you can get one end of the log 1 to 1.5 ft of the ground, makes all the difference when you get to the 3rd+ slab.

Thanks Bob and Mike. As to the suggestion to lift one end, I had all intentions of getting the logs off the ground, but because I started late in the day, I chose to go right into milling. Fortunately the ground was sloped just right to get some "downhill" milling which you can tell definitly makes it easier. Next time I will raise the whole log a bit, so I'm not on my knees the whole time. I've read a lot of the AS posts and seems this is the way to go. Its hard enough work as it is, so makes sense to set it up to make it more manageable.

Latest posts

Back