Milled some of my Black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped a black oak a few weeks ago and we cut the branches up into firewood. I want to drag the 10 ft. by 24 inch trunk that is left up to the neighbor's bandsaw mill and cut some nice slabs out of it.

wind--and when you go to drag it---can i come and watch???? :) :)

Sure. I will chain it to the tractor and drag it down the hill. Or fork lift it into the one ton truck. The GF dragged over 200 grand firs down the hill last year with the ATV. Some pretty big ones too...

...Today I cut up a 20" 4 ft log just to see how things would go. Now its all sticker and stacked. (Note: I did painted the ends after the pic's were taken)

Nice job, I too love walnut, can't get enough of it. Too bad it always seems to have so much sapwood though. Hard to find a log that doesn't. Saw an ad in Craigslist... $1.70 a bd ft for 5/4 walnut. Didn't say what grade though, or how much sapwood in the boards. If it's not FAS or it has a lot of that white sapwood, that's not really a good deal. On the other hand, it is IS FAS and mostly heartwood, then it's about half what a retailer would charge. I didn't even inquire for fear that I might be tempted to buy some.

Ya I used my 359 she worked good just a touch under powered but it worked fine...

Sharp chain and green Black walnut no problem cuts like butter.

Mark

Glad it's working good for you:cheers: Did you do the muffler mod we talked about? It will keep your saw cooler for milling.Your saw will last alot longer.Saws get alot hotter when used for milling. Keep them slabs comming.Mark:clap:

Non cat muffler

I ordered the non cat muffler from Baileys should be here in a few days...

Mark

Glad it's working good for you:cheers: Did you do the muffler mod we talked about? It will keep your saw cooler for milling.Your saw will last alot longer.Saws get alot hotter when used for milling. Keep them slabs comming.Mark:clap:

That's good:clap: 359 really wake up with a muffler mod.Make sure you readjust the carb,as it will run too lean after the change. you might hve to turn the HS screw counter clockwise to richen the mixture.

Latest posts

Back