Milled with the 084!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics hautions

I've always liked the smell of red oak when I am splitting firewood. To me it is a refreshing smell that I am not used to at work (#2 diesel fuel)

If I can ask, and I'm not being sarcastic in anyway,

But, what is the point of quartersawing the lumber instead of milling the whole log? Seems like quartersawing the log would have more wasted material in it.

One of these days I will get a mill. I have the logs, just need the mill and the time to do it. lol.

Freakingstang said:
But, what is the point of quartersawing the lumber instead of milling the whole log? Seems like quartersawing the log would have more wasted material in it.
True, you waste some of the log. Actually true 100% quartersawing wastes the most wood, where you quarter the tree, then slice that quarter 45 degrees. Think of taking boards out of the log as if the edge of every baord was the outside surface of the tree, like they were the hour markers of a clock. Every board was different width, and had no strait edges. The way
Hautions described, and also the way I often do it, quartering, taking a board, flip 90 degrees, take one from that side, flip 90 etc etc, wastes some, but not much more than through and through.

According to Hoadley's book, ash does have one of the least moisture contents of all hardwoods. I've milled lots of ash, and it dries easy, and doesn't take long to dry either. Like white oak, it also has a funny kind of sweet smell to it when you mill/cut/split it. I like the smell. But then, like some others here, I happen to like that acidic sortof stinky smell of red oak too.

Ash doesn't have the large rays that oak does, and thus you don't get the ray fleck figure when quartersawing. You do get some nice looking stripped figure... well it's not necessarily figure, its just the way the rings look on the surface. Like most quartersawn wood, its also more stable and less prone to movement.

Wood Stack

I don't even mind taking the dog outside, because I get to walk by and ogle my stack of wood. Pretty sick, isn't it. It finally got cold today, so I can start a fire pretty soon. Life is good.

ShortStack.jpg

hautions11 said:
I don't even mind taking the dog outside, because I get to walk by and ogle my stack of wood. Pretty sick, isn't it. It finally got cold today, so I can start a fire pretty soon. Life is good.
No, not sick at all, I do the same thing, I like to sit on the steps of my back shed and just look at my nice neat stacks of lumber. Must be a common theme among small time guys like us who mill lumber for fun... and... because we CAN.

woodshop said:
According to Hoadley's book, ash does have one of the least moisture contents of all hardwoods. I've milled lots of ash, and it dries easy, and doesn't take long to dry either.

I'm really glad this topic came up as I understand that another use for ash is in handles such as spades/shovels etc as it is lighter than hickory but v strong. I hope to mill an ash soon and having had a look around AS I didn't find anything on milling/drying ash for handles (long thin and straight). Woodshop do you have any good tips on what size to mill to/ what size to dry, for this specific use?

stingray bay said:
I'm really glad this topic came up as I understand that another use for ash is in handles such as spades/shovels etc as it is lighter than hickory but v strong. I hope to mill an ash soon and having had a look around AS I didn't find anything on milling/drying ash for handles (long thin and straight). Woodshop do you have any good tips on what size to mill to/ what size to dry, for this specific use?
I've never used ash for handles, or milled any wood for handles. Reason is here you can get hickory handles for hammers, shovels etc pretty cheap, cheaper than the time it's worth making your own. The 7-800 ft of ash I have milled so far was either 4/4, 5/4 or 6/4 other than the 16/4 I milled for possible baseball bats some day if I ever take the time to get good enough on my lathe to turn one. I also did quartersaw a little of it just to see what it would look like. It would go without saying though, that when milling for handles, you can only use highest grade (read, no knots or defects) of the wood. Thus you will probably need to find a relatively large log, and get the good clear stuff off of the outside of the first 8 ft section or two. I understand the local Indians that once ran the place before we showed up used ash for bows.

Ash

Dusty tools wanted some for Bat blanks. I am going to try to get him a few to play with. My wife wants a very light wood for a TV/display case in the family room. I have never used ash but it looks very stable and nice for a light color strong piece. I can't wait to try it.

Back