Miller M50 Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneB

Reaction score
I just bought a Miller M50 PTO driven stump grinder. 24" grinder with 15 teeth in pockets. The teeth are near new. However when I did a few stumps, the grinder tended to want to gouge and whack big chunks and not shave. Could the teeth be timed wrong, that causes it not to shave and cut.

I have a portable RayCo with a 20 HP motor, 12 superteeth, and the Rayco cuts faster than the M50, The Rayco is shaving and cutting, whereas the Miller does not do the shave/cut effect.

Anyone with advice is appreciated.

Wayne

The wrong tooth setting will cause the wheel to buck and chunk out pieces of the stump. What type teeth does the miller have?

Same as M50 OEM

I checked the operators manual. The teeth are the same as should be there. I have spares. They are the angled teeth on 1/2" square bar that fit into pockets. The book has a drawing and guide for teeth installation.

I guess I need to mount the grinder on the tractor, lift it up and walk the teeth around the wheel and check against the drawings in the book.

A cursory look previously looked the same. :dizzy: Will check again. Compare teeth type too.:confused:

Wayne

The wrong tooth setting will cause the wheel to buck and chunk out pieces of the stump. What type teeth does the miller have?

The 1/2 square type teeth need to be set in the pockets with a gauge. They are 2 pieces and are manually adjusted. The owners manual will tell you the settings. They one piece rayco teeth are automatically set and require no adjustment.

Called Miller

Still frustrated, I called Miller Manufacturing and spoke of my problem in great detail. Very helpful. Miller believes my problem was previous installation of replacement teeth a tad off the length. The only explanation is teeth setting.

Even if I have to buy a new set of teeth, I have a SUPERB deal on a great grinder. Cost of new teeth are a lot less than my RayCo.
Wayne

Latest posts

Back