Milling A Big White Pine Log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I decided to get started milling the white pine i harvested and posted picts of, a couple days ago...

Once i had it on the mill, i took a slab off it,

standard.jpg

after takeing the first slab off, i turned the log useing the Lumbermates "winch log turner". Then i sawed another slab off and turned it again.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Then it was time to turn it one last time to get that "last slab off",

standard.jpg

with that done, i made a 6" cut that will become some very nice 5/4 boards...

standard.jpg

i set that piece aside, and whittled down the cant takeing more 5/4 boards. I needed to get it down so i could make a couple 6"x10" beams...

standard.jpg

Here's a shot of the slab pile, the closest ones are from this pine. I need to start sawing these into "firewood length" and putting them out by the road forsale...

standard.jpg

Anyway, here's the tally... Lots of 5/4 boards and two 6"x10" beams, ready to be delivered!! Ohhh, i managed to get a bit of a sunburn too...

standard.jpg

It was a rough milling day for me today, i got started off on the wrong foot and ended up with a few miscuts!!! When things go wrong, it usually get's worse as the day goes on, and that was my day today...

Hopefully, the rest of the sawing will go a little easier!!

Thanks for viewing the picts..

Rob

Last edited:
It was a rough milling day for me today, i got started off on the wrong foot and ended up with a few miscuts!!! When things go wrong, it usually get's worse as the day goes on, and that was my day today...

Great pics Rob... you did end up with lots of nice lumber. I rarely have a perfect milling day. Too many variables. I havn't been milling much lately due to other commitments, but plan on milling up a Chestnut tree I felled last fall next week. You guys posting all these milling pics is good incentive to stop what I am doing and just go mill some logs.

When? What? Who?:hmm3grin2orange:

I dropped a 24 inch chestnut tree for a friend last fall. Yard tree, so it branches out quickly, and it was right up next to a stone wall so I couldn't cut it as near to the base as I would have liked. I think there might still be some nice chestnut lumber though. I plan on running up there (hour north of Philadelphia PA) next Monday and finally take care of it.

I knew what you were getting at. It just struck me amusing how the words were strung together with felling and fall and last fall next week.

I'll go back to picking lint from my belly button.

Here's the lumber from that first tree, i delivered it today...

standard.jpg

I even took a few minutes this morning to saw out a bit of blocking to set it all on...

standard.jpg

As you can see, i took some "stickers" along too, and it was a good thing i did as he didn't have any...

Well, time to go find another pine to harvest... :)

Rob

Great pictures Rob! I often sit and think about how great it would be if I could make a decent living sawing lumber all day long with my CSM or a bandsaw of some sort. I guess knowing that I dont have to do it and doing it on my terms is what I like the most about milling lumber.

Nice haul Rob

Keep them pics coming of you cuttin, droppin and milling your logs

I think i speak for all of us when i say we love your pics

take it easy

Craig

Latest posts

Back