Milling A Quick Bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

We have a site where we felled 27 large Ponderosa Pines, the access to the timber has been a problem. We have extracted 75% with a boom crane and airial cables, Anyhow....

Here are three pics of a temporary bridge we knocked up in just three hours so we could manhandle some firewood out (to good to leave besides we had to clear the site).

Just thought some of you would like to see.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great job...........Ok, can you come over to my place i only need a 35'er;) ! Has anyone seen these: www.pacifi.ca/home.html
Once i get the mill fired up i will build one, as i need the arch due to cresting/flooding.

RD

Speaking of bridges, has anyone milled lumber for a small vehicle bridge. I need to make a 12 foot bridge and am wondering what size of lumber is need in order to support the weight of the pickup with a load. Say 10,000 lbs to be safe.

Has anyone built or milled lumber for a small vehicle bridge?\

Any pictures???

Boy thats about the ugliest most unsafe thing I have ever seen!!! What, no handrails? No decrative ornamants? I understand it was done in thre hours, I understand you just "whipped it up", but no pride in you're work? Man...........

Very nice work!! Thats impressive as Ill get out!!! Never milled, but I think I might be about half way through ONE of thse long beams in threee hours!!!

Speaking of bridges, has anyone milled lumber for a small vehicle bridge. I need to make a 12 foot bridge and am wondering what size of lumber is need in order to support the weight of the pickup with a load. Say 10,000 lbs to be safe.

Any pictures???

i slabbed off the top of two 20" logs, made X cuts all across the top for traction, positioned them with the comealong , braced with stones. Had 2' stream to log clearance, and the length was 20'. Supported my Mazda B2200 just fine , no bending or flexing.

i slabbed off the top of two 20" logs, made X cuts all across the top for traction, positioned them with the comealong , braced with stones. Had 2' stream to log clearance, and the length was 20'. Supported my Mazda B2200 just fine , no bending or flexing.

Got any pics?:popcorn:

Any pictures???

There are still a few old Redwood log bridges in my area that were put in place a 100 years ago. They used dropped trees across creeks/streams and dirt for a top coat. They were used to haul logs out.

Here in the northeast they run a "skidder bridge" clinic for loggers. The use 6x6 and 8x8 material, 16-20 feet long. I think they were using beech logs at one of them. Tied them together with threaded rod.

Here in the northeast they run a "skidder bridge" clinic for loggers. The use 6x6 and 8x8 material, 16-20 feet long. I think they were using beech logs at one of them. Tied them together with threaded rod.

Excellent post as this gave me a search term for google which gave me this PDF which is the first to actually give some sizes of timber beams needed.

http://www.masterlogger.org/logjam/

Last edited:
Excellent post and great pics. Thanks for sharing - that's exactly what we need to do in the nature preserve I'm affiliated with, since so many big oaks and ash trees have died and fallen down recently.

How did I miss this post when it originally aired? Geez.

Back