Milling at the GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Many of these pics are in another thread already but I'll get them in their "proper place" anyways.:)

This is another water oak log that we saved from the grinder.

attachment.php

The cut started well then, suddenly, bump-bump-BANG! Chain broke!(3/8)

attachment.php

attachment.php

We poked around in the kerf, scanned with the metal detector (didn't find anything), changed chains to .404 and tried again. Jerk, Jerk- shut her down but not after ripping a few cutters off (didn't break this one). Now we can see something shining in the kerf.

Out comes the chainsaw with sacrificial bar and chain and axes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We found what the first couple bumps were- heavy guage wire

attachment.php

And the BANG- 60d (6") nail

attachment.php

We beat it down to let the bar clear.

attachment.php

And got after it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OOOOs & AAAAAs:biggrinbounce2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

We decided to cut the bottom 2' of the log off. Turned out to be a good choice as we didn't find anything else. We were still able to get 10'-8" x 40"+- slabs from it.

attachment.php

Great pictures Aggie! I think that I might have hooked Haywire Haywood up with a little milling help at the Ohio GTG. Hes interested in milling flat sides on poles to make them stackable. Sent him home with a Baileys ripping chain, the small log mill, and some uni-strut to make some rails with. Maybe he will end up a milling junkie like the rest of us. Once again. Great pictures!!!!

Man, that's a nice looking log!
I don't do a lot of milling anymore, but if we had some oak like that I might.
I alway's hate it when you find a nice little surprise like that, that's why I won't hardly mill "town" logs, unless it's something special.
Looks like you guy's had a lot of fun.

Andy

I really like this photo. There were a few more folks that showed up but had to leave before we took this. Note the overwhelming presence of orange and white:) (and Aggies! WHOOP!)

attachment.php

The next day my father and I were back at it.

attachment.php

This is what we have got from it so far. We might get 1 or 2 more good ones. The rest will be lumber or firewood.

attachment.php

I needed to blow off some steam today so I hacked up the section we cut off to see what else was in there. More 60d nails, wire, eye bolts and even some small copper tubing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love the photos mate

Many of these pics are in another thread already but I'll get them in their "proper place" anyways.:)

This is another water oak log that we saved from the grinder.

attachment.php

The cut started well then, suddenly, bump-bump-BANG! Chain broke!(3/8)

attachment.php

attachment.php

We poked around in the kerf, scanned with the metal detector (didn't find anything), changed chains to .404 and tried again. Jerk, Jerk- shut her down but not after ripping a few cutters off (didn't break this one). Now we can see something shining in the kerf.

Out comes the chainsaw with sacrificial bar and chain and axes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love the photos mate! .Are you using an alaskin sawmill setup?

thanks!

Thanks for having us out it was a great time! I have got some good ideas for projects in the future. After seeing some of the saws out there I have some ideas that I am going to put into use on the part saws I have to make a hopped up 394xp. Thanks again to everyone.

Hey there, aggie. Before you sealed the ends, did you notice if the staining assosciated with the metal pieces continued below the pieces into the butt of the log?? A couple sections of the red oak logs that I posted pics of have staining in them. I think its confined to the one log, but I don't have a metaldetector. I'm just going to be exstra careful with that log; maybe I'll have to rent a metal detector....

Hey there, aggie. Before you sealed the ends, did you notice if the staining assosciated with the metal pieces continued below the pieces into the butt of the log?? A couple sections of the red oak logs that I posted pics of have staining in them. I think its confined to the one log, but I don't have a metaldetector. I'm just going to be exstra careful with that log; maybe I'll have to rent a metal detector....

These were sealed almost a year ago. If I noticed the stain then I didn't remember it when it mattered.:bang:

These were sealed almost a year ago. If I noticed the stain then I didn't remember it when it mattered.:bang:

Right on the cutter!!!! WOW! I pulled apart a 32" loop of the carlton LP 3/8" chain a few times, but I didn't hit anything! That's got to be scary when you've got a 72" loop with a lot more powerful saw behind it!

Do you have a link to your oiler design? I've got to mod. mine before I get into the big oaks. The 394XP oiler is great for cutting big firewood & smaller milling, but it has no manual booster. & I'm using canola, which seems to flow a bit easier & coat the chain a little better, in my limmited experience so far.

Did you tap the hole? I figure I can tap about a 3/16" deep hole, just to the other side of the bar rail, & drill out the bolt, on the bottom of the tip so it just clears the sprocket.

Right on the cutter!!!! WOW! I pulled apart a 32" loop of the carlton LP 3/8" chain a few times, but I didn't hit anything! That's got to be scary when you've got a 72" loop with a lot more powerful saw behind it!

Do you have a link to your oiler design? I've got to mod. mine before I get into the big oaks. The 394XP oiler is great for cutting big firewood & smaller milling, but it has no manual booster. & I'm using canola, which seems to flow a bit easier & coat the chain a little better, in my limmited experience so far.

Did you tap the hole? I figure I can tap about a 3/16" deep hole, just to the other side of the bar rail, & drill out the bolt, on the bottom of the tip so it just clears the sprocket.

I'll get some new pics of my oiler up later. I changed the valve arrangement a bit last weekend but I have not drilled the bar yet. Stay tuned...

Latest posts

Back