Milling Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Horton

Reaction score
Which older saw should I be looking for if I was going to be using it for milling ? Any other advise or info in this regard would be nice. :dizzy: Thanks for any help that anyone may be able to give.

Stihl 056, or 056 magnum work great. 041 or 045 if the wood isn't real big, but there is no substitute for power (other than a sharp chain!) when milling.

I have an 084 I use for milling, bucking and some felling. The only reason I went with something this big is I have an ocasional 5'-+ log to slab out. An 066 or even an 046, 044 or 041 (or non Stihl equivalent) could suffise for smaller jobs.
:blob2:

The king of the Orange/White heap is the 090. But it IS a monster.:dizzy:

I JEST did a little research and can save you some time if you'd consider the "other" saw with German roots. Sachs-Dolmar.
The 133/133 super are 85cc, the 143 is 95cc, the 153 is 100cc, and the 166 is 118cc's.

The 166 has an older style brake. The 133 was rated 10hp out of the box. 133 super, according to my source, is nothing but a later model of 133, they show no spec change--unlike most "super" designated saws out there.

Enjoy the hunt. And don't be bidding against me!:laugh:

Last edited:
Found out today that I have a neighbor who is milling with an 088.

Well, he's about 10 miles away, but that's close enough to pay a little visit.

I'm using an old (circa 1976) Husky 185, which is an 85 cc saw.

I have nothing to compare it too, but I'm told the older big cc saws have more torque and a slower chain speed, which is better for milling.

My saw is hard to bog (with a sharp chain) and sure seems to cut them hardwood logs up in a hurry.

Results may vary.

Cheers!

Back