Milling Giant Sequoia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bullet in SF, eh ? Must have been one of Dirty Harry's stray rounds ?

Awesome pics, awesome mill. :clap:

I don't think Dirty Harry had stray rounds. If that is his bullet then the tree needed shooting.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

I have a neighbor who owns a commercial landscaping business, and he said he would call me when he has a old tree that needs removing.
Those logs above came from a contractor that was building a foundation and running the sewage for a McMansion. The house that was there was about 1200 sq.ft., they are tearing it down, a shame in some ways...

The house is on the market as they build it for about $7.5M, and by the looks of the tax numbers, the builders/investors paid $4M for the property with the 1200 sq.ft.home on it.

I had to pay for the trucker to pick them up and take them down to my yard in Morgan Hill, and that did cost me $600 after it was all said and done. My main concern was the pines, I'll mill those up into 2x6 decking for the house I'm building. I think this will mill up into enough 2x6 to cover my main floor, 2nd floor, and the porches. Not a bad investment if I can get that done in my log home.

BTW, speaking of giant sequoia, a friend of mine lives up off the eel river, and a couple years ago the storm blew a redwood from the bank of the river. He ended up having a guy cut it into 3 pieces so he could get it out of the river and across the street to his property. River was up to the road...11' at the butt end, and it was 60', he netted over 10,000 bf after it was milled. That is a lot of wood, I saw the tree sections which they did with a lucas, they were too big for my bandmill...;)

Nice. Here's one that was even larger...and 98 years old. We removed it this summer. Largest tree to be removed residentially in the Puget Sound region, I'm sure, in 13 years. 10.5 foot at ground level, 8 feet dbh, 158 feet tall, over 12,000 board feet including the bark, and about 70 yards of chips

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157624162999759/show/
It's going for custom use of some kind. Being processed by www.liveedge.com

4706232170_e790cfc5a7_o.jpg

4724555044_6f975a3a46_o.jpg

4724534392_59387047dc_o.jpg

4723855385_19c40af47e_o.jpg

Last edited:
All the GS I've milled was very light weight when dry. Seemed strong for the weight, but did twist a little while drying. Largest log I milled was in the four foot range. Most of the GS trees I've taken down you could park a skid steer on the stump, some of them would hold a full size pickup. Smallest I took down was fourteen years old and 23" DBH. I really hate rigging them, they stick the ropes full of those pointy little spines.

Mr. HE:cool:

Those logs above came from a contractor that was building a foundation and running the sewage for a McMansion.

I had to pay for the trucker to pick them up and take them down to my yard in Morgan Hill, and that did cost me $600 after it was all said and done. My main concern was the pines, I'll mill those up into 2x6 decking for the house I'm building. I think this will mill up into enough 2x6 to cover my main floor, 2nd floor, and the porches. Not a bad investment if I can get that done in my log home.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back