Milling questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possum398

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been reading these threads every so often, and I am contemplating trying to mill some red oak I have. My question is what do I need to get started. I have a Stihl 460, is that large enough. Also what is the best design milling atachment and what chains do I need to look for. I have never seen someone mill w/chainsaw so any hint would be greatly appreciated. Everyone around here uses a bandsaw.

I have been reading these threads every so often, and I am contemplating trying to mill some red oak I have. My question is what do I need to get started. I have a Stihl 460, is that large enough. Also what is the best design milling atachment and what chains do I need to look for. I have never seen someone mill w/chainsaw so any hint would be greatly appreciated. Everyone around here uses a bandsaw.

First and most important question you will be asked is how big are the logs?

There is no "best" milling attachment, each have their pros and cons including $$$$. It sounds like you need to do some more reading and websearching.

RE:I have never seen someone mill w/chainsaw so any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Just look on youtoob and you will find some or you can look at a short video of me in the second post of this thread.

RE: Everyone around here uses a bandsaw.
If this is what you think then you really haven't read very much of this forum. I think there are more forum members that use CSMs than bandsaws probably because many bandsaw owners also have CSMs.

Once you tell us how big the logs are we can help.

Cheers

When I said around here I meant locally, not on the forum. The tree I am thinking about is 30". I also have some smaller ones, but the 30" tree is already down.

I have milled some oak and hard maple in that size range, 32-36 inch bar on a alaskan mill will do, though you may need to slab off 2 sides 90 deg apart or trim the sides of the log a little. 460 will do it, but it won't be fast. even with 066 that size hardwood is a slow go. I don't cut anything that big into 1" boards. 2-3 inch thick slabs of hard wood are nice and can be resawn smaller with shop tools. They do take their sweet time to dry though 2-5 years.

Good idea to have the muffler opened up for milling and the saw tuned fairly rich to keep the engine as cool as possible. 7 pin gear and good sharp rip chain.

I have milled red oak that large with a 460 in the past. As was said, it will do it, just a little slower. $200 will get you a 36" Mark V csm at Baileys. An aluminum ladder or makeshift guide nailed or screwed or whatever to the top of the log and you're making lumber. Do some more searching on this forum and you will find tons of pics of guys using a csm, including many I've posted myself. Here are a few.

This so happens to be a 460... milling red oak in these pics...

csm4.jpg

csm5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Slow does not bother me at all. If I keep selling firewood like I did today, I might be able to save enough to buy a bigger saw. I have a local woodworker that wants red oak blocks to turn. I have plenty of red oak, so I just need a mill.

Having a mill is super nice when you want those special cuts from figured wood, quarter sawn cuts, burls, crotch wood, spalted wood, or lumber from less popular tree spiecies....

Latest posts

Back