Milling some small black cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Yesterday I was out cutting up some small cherry. This is all stuff that was left behind by a logging company that came through in July. Spend more time messing around with setup, to get two or three boards for the most part. Had a few nice slabs come from some nice 12-13" logs. Not many pics. Well, here ya go.
Brian

Looks nice Juice! It is a PITA to cut small irregular logs, but you still get some nice lumber out of it. Good job.

Looks nice Juice! It is a PITA to cut small irregular logs, but you still get some nice lumber out of it. Good job.

I agree... there is that pesky law of diminishing returns that I can't seem to get away from. If you're willing to spend the time though, you can get a few nice chunks out of small irregular stuff like that. I've done it many times also, but tend to walk away from it more and more as I get bigger logs offered me, and bang for the buck time-wise would rather spend a Sat milling them.

I found it best to slice those small ones down the middle pith area, and then take a couple of 8 or 12/4 from the halves. Thinner 4/4 that isn't all that wide has more of a tendency to twist and cup.

Good job milling... keep it up.

Nice looking cherry. It's very rewarding to "rescue" such logs from the chipper, landfill or fireplace.

I had the same experience with the Logosol Timberjig - small logs were just a pain. Now that I have the Woodworkers Mill, small logs are just as easy as larger ones. This would of course also be true of bandmills or carriage (Procut style) chainsaw mills.

Ted

I mill a lot of that little stuff myself. It is kinda a pita but I never was good at throwing anything away. I mill what i can out of it, then the rest goes in the outdoor wood boiler, its a win win. I get to play with my mill, get some lumber, and heat my house.

Latest posts

Back