Milling this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's pictures from this weekend I referenced in the "mill kicked my butt" thread. This is the log we milled on the bandsaw before we shut it down.

CSM pics

Pic #1 & #2 are of the rail set up I use now. The rails are 1 1/4" x 7 1/4" aluminum concrete forms. I have 3 sets- 8', 17'-6" and 24'

Pic #3 & #4 are of the manufacturing defect that caused all the problems. The 2 plates that make the bar clamp were welded to the tubes about 1/16" out of line. When the set screw was tightened on the bottom and the bar was pushed against the shoulders on the opposite side it caused the deflection you can see in the bar in pic 3. This was after we choked the riser assembly further up the bar. It was much worse when it was installed where it should be.

Pic #5 - problem temporary fixed and progress made. The fine dust you see was a result of my forgetting the ripping chain at home.

The mill problem can be fixed by filing the shoulders even. I intend to give GB a call anyway.

Thanks for the pics aggie... nice Logmaster mill... diesel... don't suppose you can bog that thing down unless you try hard, no? Did you get it new or used, just curious. I jumped on their website, Nacogadoches TX is a wee bit far to go or I'd run over and check them out just for fun. I guess you get the logs up onto the carriage with that little bobcat? Sure would be nice to have one of them in the woods when moving logs around. That 36 inch dia Pecan I dropped on Sat I figured out to be 3,300 lbs per 8 ft log using 60lb per cubic foot of wet wood, which is what red oak is. So would that Bobcat take care of my Pecan log?

You should send that pic#3 that shows that bent bar to them and let them know how much trouble it caused you.

Thanks, but we don't own this mill. It belongs to a friend of ours but we have pretty much free access to it. I'm told it would relieve you of $35K+ now days. You'll break a blade before you bog it down. The best features are the hydraulic carriage feed and log handlers. They really save the 'ol back.

The bobcat is ours. It's rated at 1850 lbs. operating load and 4076 lbs. tipping load. We regularly lift 3000-3500 lbs. but carefully. What it can't lift it can drag or roll. With the tracks on it (not shown) you can take that puppy almost anywhere.

I talked to their mill guru and sent an entire album of pictures to him today. I'll probably just fix it by filing the shoulders even but I shouldn't have to. If I hear back from them tomorrow I'll post their response. I wonder if I'd get better service if I told them they are being watched.

Last edited:
aggiewoodbutchr said:
Thanks, but we don't own this mill. It belongs to a friend of ours but we have pretty much free access to it. I'm told it would relieve you of $35K+ now days. You'll break a blade before you bog it down. The best features are the hydraulic carriage feed and log handlers. They really save the 'ol back....

If I remember right you had a few pictures using a woodmizer a while back. How does the logmasters design compare to woodmizer? Not trying to start a flame war, but I only live about 2 hours away from logmasters shop. Sure would be convenient if/when the time comes to start shopping for a bigger setup.

Both are quality machines. The woodmizer LT25 I used isn't in the same class as the LM3 so it would be tough to compare. One thing I will comment on, the tunnel design of the LM seems more rigid compared to the cantilever design of the woodmizer. However, I didn't notice any quality issues in the lumber that could be attributed to this. One advantage to the cantilever design is there's one less obstacle you have to clear on over-sized or odd-shaped logs.

Just telling it like I see it- take it for what it's worth.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Both are quality machines....Just telling it like I see it- take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll have to take a ride to Nac and pay 'em a visit.

Thanks, Kevin

Latest posts

Back