Milling with a light bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac&Homelite

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I recently bought a large saw and am going to get a large 36" Stihl bar for it. So far I only intend to use it for some bucking, but at some point would like to get a larger modern saw and utilize it for milling. How well do the lightening bars hold up for milling (particular the Stihl), as this will be the main deciding point for me?

That does not use a special mount like a 070/090/880.

I would bet that the heartier the bar the better off you are. A light long bar would have more flex. I would go further that the steel is not as durable on a light bar under the stress. I have never owned a light one that needs to be said.

Correct, the smaller 660 mount will be modified for it. The regular bar may actually be a better balance over the light bar, as the power-head goes on 20lbs with fluids. It's a monster for sure, can't wait to put a full wrap on it and dog it into some wood. First I got to get it running though.

I have done it a lot with Oregon and a little with a tsumura. They dissipate heat faster seems like. They're not real long like a 50-60" to have much sag when mounted in the mill.

Latest posts

Back