Milling with the 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wanted to report in and say that I finally had a little extra time to try out the new 395 today on a 16 inch by 6 ft. white oak log that ive had for a couple of weeks now. This thing is an awesome saw compared to the smaller saw that ive been using. Didnt keep good track of the times but was slicing through the six feet in about 3 to 4 minutes at 3/4 throttle. I gave the saw a few tanks for break in but still wanna take it easy on the throttle for a few logs or so. All in all I am very pleased with the performance of this machine. I ended up getting four nice slabs 2 1/4 in. thick. Didnt quarter it just flat sawed it but still turned out some real nice slabs.

milling

Awsome dusty! There is nothing like HP. The difference between my 084 and 064 was amazing send pics!!!!!!!!

I love my 395 for milling the bigger stuff. One thing that I didn't realize would make as much difference as it does is sharpness of the chain. Seems like with normal crosscutting, even when the chain starts to get a little dull, you can still work the saw through logs. Sure it slows down, but unless you rock the chain, it will keep cutting for you. With milling... as soon as that milling chain starts to get dull, it really slows down noticeable. If you wait too long, and try and push it even more, it just labors through that cut. Hard on the saw, frustrating for the guy pushing it down the cant. I now take at least three sharp milling chains when going to a milling session. The time it takes to change chain is a lot less than trying to work a chain that is not super sharp down a cant.

I am also an avid chain changer. Keep it sharp and go easy on yourself and the saw. Plus it feels better. I carry like 6 chains at a time. Don't ever want to be caught out in the woods with nothin' but dull chain.

Latest posts

Back