Mini Mill vs mkIII

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting into milling, and had a few questions about Alaskan mills. I will be milling a wide variety of log sizes mostly smaller than 36" and plan to buy a large mill and a small mill. I would either buy the small log mill now and later buy a 36" mill. Or I will buy a 56" version and cut the rails so that i have a 36" and a 20". I would then make a splice so that i could have a 56 inch to. What are the differences in ease of use and precision between the small and standard mills. How long would it take to swap rails? Would this work?

Alaskan Small Log Mill

I am looking forward to getting into milling, and had a few questions about Alaskan mills. I will be milling a wide variety of log sizes mostly smaller than 36" and plan to buy a large mill and a small mill. I would either buy the small log mill now and later buy a 36" mill. Or I will buy a 56" version and cut the rails so that i have a 36" and a 20". I would then make a splice so that i could have a 56 inch to. What are the differences in ease of use and precision between the small and standard mills. How long would it take to swap rails? Would this work?

I own the Small Log Mill, and it looks like it would be easy to splice it to the 36" mill. I've never tried it though, and I would think the splice might flex a little.

- Rick

I have two mills - one with 53" rails running a 42" bar - I use it to mill logs down to about 18". Below that I use a mill with 24" rails running a 20" bar.

The reason I do this is not related to size of the mill but the size of the chain running on the CS. I have milled logs as small as 12" in diameter with the bigger mill - no problems, apart from turning more of the log than necessary into saw dust. The small mill runs a 53 cc saw with 0.050" bar and 3/8 low profile chain. The bigger mill has a custom saw mount so the smaller saw cannot fit onto the bigger mill.

In your case I would just buy a set of 56" and 24" rails. The extra $$ will soon be covered by the cost of building a splice and the time and effort required to splice and unsplice the rails.

Last edited:
I have two mills - one with 53" rails running a 42" bar - I use it to mill logs down to about 18". Below that I use a mill with 24" rails running a 20" bar.

The reason I do this is not related to size of the mill but the size of the chain running on the CS. I have milled logs as small as 12" in diameter with the bigger mill - no problems, apart from turning more of the log than necessary into saw dust. The small mill runs a 53 cc saw with 0.050" bar and 3/8 low profile chain. The bigger mill has a custom saw mount so the smaller saw cannot fit onto the mill.

In your case I would just buy a set of 56" and 24" rails.

what Bob said. It only takes minutes to swap the rails.

Latest posts

Back