Mini Skid-Steer Loaders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've read up on these little babies, and now I want to know who here is actually using 'em. How do you get them to the job site, are they tough to load onto a double-axle trailer, how much fuel do they use, are you using a grapple attachment, etc., etc. Any and all info on your personal experiences with them is greatly appreciated. I want to be sure I'm getting into something that will save me time and money, ultimately, before I plunk down my $20G's. Thanks!

i thought about buying one, but it just doesn't make sense when it comes down to it (cost-wise). I use tree dollys and cheap labor. the tree dolly never breaks down or needs gas. plus you can trow the dolly onto the trailer with all the other stuff.

I rent them from time to time when i have a removal in a back yard where i cant get a tractor. Ive always used the tracked models and one with only a bucket. I removed a dying oak tree last week in a back yard. The tree was about 30" dbh and i would cut the logs 3 feet and roll them into the bucket. I also stacked brush on the bucket and arm and tied it off with a rope. It worked well for me. They are easy on the turf too.

I have no experiance but I do have some advice. Talk to the company or business you are thinking of buying it from. Most will let you borrow one for the day as long as you are serious about buying one. My father used to sell agriculture equipment and he would always let people demo stuff. We sold a lot of eauipment just because we let people try them for a little while. Heck if you have to rent one for a day sounds like a better idea than buying one and finding out you hate it.
Jared

Im demo-ing one tomorrow. A vermeer 600tx.

Talking to a friend that has one, it saves him a lot of time per job.

If I do get one, I think it will be the vermeer simply because you can ride on it. This ups the load limit a little and make it easier to see the front.

Ill post back after the demo.

I had the Bobcat MT52 and sold it a year after purchase. Too small. Capacity is very limited for the $$$. But it would get into tight places. It is a better tool for a landscaper IMO.

I would get a small S150 Bobcat or equivalent skid steer before I'd get a mini track loader.

Thata my .02

I just bought a Thomas 25G and I put a Branch manager grapple on the front of it. I used it today for the first time and it kicked ass!!! It shaved at least 2 hours off of my day! Thanks Dave you were right.

You should look into the Toro Dingo. I am having a demo next week and he's bringing 3 of them. A tracked one, model 525 with the new 25 horse Kubota diesel, and two other wheeled models with some attachments. The unit I am looking to purchase is the 525, with the diesel, he told me it can lift well over 1500lbs. Its only 33.7 inches wide with the bucket 70" long and weigh about 1900lbs. You can get about 30 or so attachments. Stump grinder, grapple bucket, forks, etc. You can get several different buckets and so on. I'll wite you guys next week.

Im demo-ing one tomorrow. A vermeer 600tx.

Talking to a friend that has one, it saves him a lot of time per job.

If I do get one, I think it will be the vermeer simply because you can ride on it. This ups the load limit a little and make it easier to see the front.

Ill post back after the demo.

So how was it? Did you like it or did the price tag scare you off. Just curious. The AF is thinkning of buying twenty of them. Yes we do get a pretty sweet discount for buying twenty at one time.
Let us know I am just curious.
Jared

Latest posts

Back