minimum price stump grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 150.00 min as well unless im removing the tree,I will grind the stump for a little less if its a small tree.

Shaun

I will use $75 as a minimum for a couple "volume" customers. I have done a couple cheaper while on a job and the neighbor asks "can you do this while you are here." I lose alot of calls to someone else when I quote a $150 minimum. But if its a single call, I'm not running that day, anything less does not work out. I try to push all my calls into the same couple days a week.
Sure is nice grinding in cooler weather.:rock:

$80 minimum in Oklahoma City area. Normally it works out pretty good for me. Minimum price per stump is $40 if the stump is 12" or less.

Here in Illinois, for 12" or less $75. Rest all depends on length of travel, location of the stump, and size. Good luck to ya.

If this is legit, a few more facts might be said.

Min price per stump, or per trip?

If you are just starting out in business, missing work is harder on you than the fellow that has been in business for a long time.... hence the minimum is exclusionary.

Carry on......

$75 minimum for 10"

Gas ain't cheap. I have another local guy that has been grinding in my area for 28 years, he told me a price on a stump he beat me to (they were friends of his) and he would have charged $100 when I would have charged $150. I chewed him out and told him he was too cheap. I met another grinder and was BSing whith him, he charges $30 per inch. I chewed him out too. Too cheap. Their equipment looks it though, all beat to hell. I am charging in the vicinity of $6.00-$7.00 per inch, it depends on the distance to drive, size of the stump, number of stumps, etc.

Bob

Gas ain't cheap. I have another local guy that has been grinding in my area for 28 years, he told me a price on a stump he beat me to (they were friends of his) and he would have charged $100 when I would have charged $150. I chewed him out and told him he was too cheap. I met another grinder and was BSing whith him, he charges $30 per inch. I chewed him out too. Too cheap. Their equipment looks it though, all beat to hell. I am charging in the vicinity of $6.00-$7.00 per inch, it depends on the distance to drive, size of the stump, number of stumps, etc.

Bob

If i am reading u correctly u would charge for a 1 ft stump 72-84 dollars plus setup fee, u would starve to death down here at those rates, i would be laughed out of the neighborhood....
u are talking five minutes work on a 1 ft stump, i have never charged by the inch, it just would not work down here, i look at the job figure how long it would take, multiply by what i need to make an hour and that is my price, a lot of variables come in to play, size, hard or soft, root flare,age etc.....

I did 3 large fresh oak stumps today, all over 30 inches, at 7.00 per inch would be 630.00 plus setup fee, i got 300.00 and that is top dollar down here.....

Bob.....:cheers:

$75 minimum for any grind

Bob,

Yep, $75 minimum unless it's a buddy or neighbor. I don't know what a set up fee is. If you mean marking locates for utilities, we (the utility users) pay for that through our service, so no charge to me there. Don't forget, I had to go to the customer & give them an estimate, there is time & costs involved (fuel, time, call in locates, set up estimate & invoice) with that as well. I do mostly residentials, and with volume, their price would go down as well.

I have been grinding a lot of maples, very few pines up here. The root flare is a biggie that I like to take care of, and with residentials vice where a tree is left over from a woodlot say, the roots spread out more. The poplars (or cottonwoods) have a ton of surface roots to chase as well. About half my jobs are grind and go, I offer clean up of the mulch for half the grind price no matter what. Often times that requires wheel barrow work with the shovel. Customer pays disposal as well, I cover costs only there, kind of a loss leader in order to get the job.

Like you, there are a lot of variables out there that come into play as well. I have lost some jobs because I am probably a little high, but my equipment, while old, is paid for and mechanically sound. I do drool over the tree #### that the landscape trader sends to me every month, the bigger Carltons and Raycos get me drooling...

I use a Rayco 1625 SuperJr and a 1991 Chev 3/4 ton for grind & go, got a homemade dump trailer, wheel barrow, shovels and rakes for clean up.

Bob

Bob,

Yep, $75 minimum unless it's a buddy or neighbor. I don't know what a set up fee is. If you mean marking locates for utilities, we (the utility users) pay for that through our service, so no charge to me there. Don't forget, I had to go to the customer & give them an estimate, there is time & costs involved (fuel, time, call in locates, set up estimate & invoice) with that as well. I do mostly residentials, and with volume, their price would go down as well.

I have been grinding a lot of maples, very few pines up here. The root flare is a biggie that I like to take care of, and with residentials vice where a tree is left over from a woodlot say, the roots spread out more. The poplars (or cottonwoods) have a ton of surface roots to chase as well. About half my jobs are grind and go, I offer clean up of the mulch for half the grind price no matter what. Often times that requires wheel barrow work with the shovel. Customer pays disposal as well, I cover costs only there, kind of a loss leader in order to get the job.

Like you, there are a lot of variables out there that come into play as well. I have lost some jobs because I am probably a little high, but my equipment, while old, is paid for and mechanically sound. I do drool over the tree #### that the landscape trader sends to me every month, the bigger Carltons and Raycos get me drooling...

I use a Rayco 1625 SuperJr and a 1991 Chev 3/4 ton for grind & go, got a homemade dump trailer, wheel barrow, shovels and rakes for clean up.

Bob

A setup fee is the min to come out to cover estimate gas etc, some guys are as high as 100 but the average is around 80, i charge 50-75 dep on distance so for a small stump we are pretty close in price a 1 ft stump would be 10 plus s/u fee or 60.00...
I wish i could get the big prices they get up north, but i am in the piney woods of east texas and there are stump grinders everywhere, i just finished a job about a week ago, 192 stumps at 12.50 each or 2400.00, and i lost a job of 100 stumps to a guy that bid 10.00 each, so that is what i am up against, i go higher on fresh cut pine as it is the worst and if i lose it, no problem .

We do fill the holes and level the shavings, but i am not setup to do cleanup, have not had requests to do so as most people just use the shavings for mulch, i imagine in the city there would be more requests for cleanup, esp in the high income areas...

Good luck to you..

Bob....:cheers:

Latest posts

Back