Minor damage on stove...any urgent repairs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG I've noticed some minor damage in my stove and wondering if any of them look like repairs that should be made asap (dangerous, efficiency loss, etc) or if it can wait until the summer to be replaced. I have a new englander NC30

1- broken fiberboard, one of the two boards is cracked completely in half. I have both pieces sitting together as they should. They're 60$ plus shipping each otherwise I would've just ordered a new one.

2- one of the bricks that lines the inside is cracked. It's in the very front of the stove.

3- the iron lip around the opening after you open the door is bent/cracked (no idea how this could even happen). It doesn't effect the gasket around the door at all.

Firebrick around $7 ea. Weld the crack and bend it back, no big deal. Put some welding blankets down around it, open windows, put a fan and weld it up. Or even easier if it's in the basement or garage.

If you are talking about the fiberboard baffles in the top of the stove, I would order the replacements. Those are keeping heat in the stove from going up the chimney. I'm not certain but with the secondary combustion happening there could be a chance of warping the top without the baffles in place.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the lip. That looks like mechanical damage. If it doesn't affect the door seal I don't see it being a problem.

Your firebrick is factory cut for clearance of the door latch. With a full brick there the door would not close so no problem there.

Very similar to my situation. I bought a few firebricks and ground them to make a good fit. I would feel a little more comfortable with a welded up unit that is safer, but for me am shopping around for a new or slightly used unit. I ran into a beautiful unit about 6 months ago for free on CL, but was busy at the time so I let it slide. When they are welded together at the factory they work well, but after a few repair jobs they tend to warp and crack. Would rather spend a day or two driving to someplace and picking up a new one. Thanks

Back