Minus -12f come on man!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tired of winter but not the cool weather. Hate the thought of the AC and the bills coming. Need to come up with a wood powered AC unit. Plenty of wood yet for this and next winter and that is a very nice feeling.

Some of my confused trees are already leaking. I'm not tapping, just noticed a lot of sap stains on the snow.

Minus -1f this morning, but they are saying this "maybe" the end of the below zero crap. I hate the heat, but the below zero stuff gets old also.

I wouldn't mind finding the person that came up with this in like a lion and out like a lamb crap. it has been a pretty rough winter. i don't remember one this cold with this much snow since the mid 80's( 1980's that is).

I had waist deep snow or better out in the bush a while back, 1 week of above freezing weather dropped it 2/3' thdrs and are now back below seasonal normals, it hit -24 at dawn sooo close 100 club, still waiting in global warmin'....

i fired up my smoky pig this morning 18+ wasn't that pleasent even if it isn't -18 just so ready for green grass,trees and warm weather.

I had waist deep snow or better out in the bush a while back, 1 week of above freezing weather dropped it 2/3' thdrs and are now back below seasonal normals, it hit -24 at dawn sooo close 100 club, still waiting in global warmin'....

I made it to the woods on Sunday for the first time since November. It's still a "just barely" getting there proposition though, front axle deep on a 70HP tractor in a lot of spots, I need it to drop quite a bit more before I can skid em out. The Massey will pull tree length if it can get traction, the powder snow under the crust doesn't make for good traction at all. I had spots out in the field where my 10,000lb tractor would ride up on the crust before falling through - I don't remember that happening in the 30 years I've been driving tractors.

41 later today alledgedly. I might have to try to get out there before work.

I'm almost out of wood, but think it will work-out about right. Doesn't take too long to hit the woods for a little more.

They have wood fired gasifier's. Some are capable of running an entire house.
Clint I think you missed the part about ac from wood heat,. Would need a high pressure steam generation plant to power a turbine genset, or the wood gas generation units to power a conventonal genset. One other though would be a huge array of those peliter( spelling?) devices.

I didn't miss what you said.:) The wood gasifier I was referring to uses the wood "gases" produced from burning wood, to run a generator, instead of using steam.

The first person that complains about the heat gets throat punched! Burned through the years wood 2 weeks ago. Been pulling in some of next years to get by that is piled at the edge of the yard. It is kinda green, and maple. Smells like cat piss and burns for crap. Grabbed boy wonder and the sleds and headed to the woods and pulled in about a rick from one of my stashes. Good to have some nice dry oak burning again. Even the girlie said she noticed how cold the house felt not having a good wood fire going as much. The gas furnace has been kicking on to keep the place heated up, but it just does not compare with the wood stove going all the time. I swear the wood heat keeps everything in the house warm, not just the air like the furnace. I don't notice it, til I jump into the bed at night!

I have just enough firewood left in the basement to load the furnace one more time... which will be needed this evening.
The "experts" are sayin' rain after midnight right on through tomorrow.
So I guess you know what I'll be doin' after work today??
Yeah, I'll be movin' more firewood in the house... again‼
This crap is gettin' old... really friggin' old.

If the weather guessers are even close to right, I'll be back Sunday night to complain about sunburn...We'll see how that goes. Allegedly gonna be real close to 60 on Sunday.

If the weather guessers are even close to right, I'll be back Sunday night to complain about sunburn...We'll see how that goes. Allegedly gonna be real close to 60 on Sunday.

L-O-L
Yeah, me too. If those "guessers" are correct the sunburn could be real bad.
I mean with all this snow still on the ground reflecting sunlight, and me sleeveless... heck, that could be as bad as the first day of the year spent on water LOL

Well it's not -12, but were going down to 14 tonight after not being very cold for a while. Tomorrow it goes back up to 47 during the day and it looks like this might be the last of the cold. My firewood pile is going to make it.

I'm on my own last night and tonight, and the stove didn't get reloaded until I got home. It was windy and things had cooled off. I went over to a pile and grabbed a wheel barrel load of tulip cut to fit the little stove, and threw it in for some instant heat. Now both stoves are cranking, the animals are fed and the chores are done. Let there be heat....

Back