Misery Whip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't make any claims on being an expert, but if I had to guess I'd say the two on the top are jointers or strippers (both terms refer to the same tool)and the ones on the bottom are spiders. The former are used in conjunction with a flat file to even out the heights of the teeth on an unevenly worn saw before sharpening. The latter are used on worksaws to roughly gauge the set of the teeth -approx. 0.012"-0.015" for hardwoods and 0.020" in softwoods. In the case of a racing saw one would use a micrometer to set the teeth as they are more accurate.

This is a great thread. Those who posted pics. have some really nice saws. Thank you for sharing them.

Thanks for the info, the father in law passed those on to me,, he did show me how they worked,, but that was 20 years ago, he also left me a saw that is near new it has 'SIMONDS' or 'SIMONS' etched into the steel. I forgot where I put my saw for pictures.:help:

I think Simonds is a good brand. I actually did the saw race thing once. We practiced with a dull saw, then picked up a sharpened one on the way to Canada, then used it. What a difference! We finished in the middle of the pack.

I have seen that download. I'm also wondering if the Backcountry Horsemen have somebody. Each Spring, they have a gathering here.

Thanks for the info, the father in law passed those on to me,, he did show me how they worked,, but that was 20 years ago, he also left me a saw that is near new it has 'SIMONDS' or 'SIMONS' etched into the steel. I forgot where I put my saw for pictures.:help:

I'm not familiar with that brand. It is pretty easy to sharpen a crosscut. There are some minor details involved but it is mostly just time consuming and repetitive.

Pics. of your saw would also be a nice -when you find it.

Got one or two down in the shed. I have a handle shortage if I remember right though.

If I don't forget, I'll dig em out and snap some pics later today.

I remember when I was a youngster, probably early 80's, Dad and a couple uncles took down a monster tree (likely a cottonwood) that had been hit by lightning with one. It was probably 5' DBH, Dad had chainsaws big enough for anything up to 40" or so. They were working for sure with the 2 man hand saw.

A guy I did some mining for has a few of those crosscut saws, new and in the cardboard they came in.
Should I try to get my hands on them and are they worthy anything?
John

Here's one I found down in the shed. I know there's at least one more there somewhere, because I remember one that's missing one handle.

The side shown has only light rust, the other side was against the back wall and has more rust with some pitting. I couldn't find any mfg stamp, probably under the rust somewhere. Doesn't much matter, I have no plans to sell it.

I'll probably clean it up a bit with a wire brush, maybe file it a bit although it's not bad right now, and take it to the next gtg. Might win a race against one of Mark H's big Macs if he's gotta restart it warm lol... Other than that, I think it's going on the wall above the workbench when I get my little saw shop done in the basement.

I had to include a little "before and after" into the shot:

attachment.php

Gratuitous shot of the woodpile inspector:

attachment.php

I've got a six footer and a one man with the handle on top. I also found a good sized chunk of one in the woods a few years back. That and some horse calks. I'l see if i can remember to take a pic tomorrow.

I use a six foot two man bucking saw at the national forest where I volunteer. I also use it to teach Scouts how to do non power tool trail maintenance at the camp.
A friend of mine sharpens it for me whenever I need it.
These saws are alive and well in our wilderness areas out here.

Back