Mityvac pressure test on old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used a Mityvac on an old saw that uses reed plates?
I would like to vacuum/pressure test the crankcase on a few old saws, but I'm not sure how to do it, because the old saws use reed plates. There's no barb to connect a hose to for putting pressure/ vacuum in the crankcase.

If anybody can shed some light on this subject, I would appreciate it!

(Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, I couldn't find anything about it.)

Just use a spark plug adapter to 'tap' into the case & pull it down to 15"Hg.
Flip the lever & pump it up to 8 psig.

Husqvarna makes a great tool #503844002, used it on dozens of reed valved saws, not an issue for vacuum or pressure.

I just bought one myself and I am working on my procedure. I have a rubber inner tube from a car tire. I used a piece of it under the muffler to block off the exhaust. I am going to try a piece under the carburetor and the spark plug adapter mentioned above. I didn't have much luck with a wood plug in the intake boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use a spark plug adapter to 'tap' into the case & pull it down to 15"Hg.
Flip the lever & pump it up to 8 psig.
Okay, but wont putting pressure/vacuum into the engine through the spark plug hole only check the leakdown of the piston rings?

If I move the piston so the intake ports are exposed, thus letting pressure into the crankcase, the exhaust port is also open.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Okay, but wont putting pressure/vacuum into the engine through the spark plug hole only check the leakdown of the piston rings?

If I move the piston so the intake ports are exposed, thus letting pressure into the crankcase, the exhaust port is also open.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Oops, didn't see brandonstc6's post about covering the exhaust port with rubber. My apologies.
Makes more sense now. Thanks again!

Back