Mobark chipper with blow by any advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have 1999 mobark 2400 with a john deer motor. It has 115 hp. The thing runs great but it just started to have alot of blow by. Oil just drips out the blow by hose. Still runs perfect. The machine has about 3300 hours on it. Any advice would be help full. Didn't really want to tear it all apart.

Sure does not sound like a quick fix. Sounds like a ring problem to me. I would guess that it is starting to use oil as well.

Sure does not sound like a quick fix. Sounds like a ring problem to me. I would guess that it is starting to use oil as well.

As of right now it doesn't use any oil. Runs great. My guess to was the rings. I was just hoping that it might be somthing else.

You might want to keep a close eye on the dipstick. The oil must be coming from somewhere. Does it have a PVC valve? It could be sticking open, however I would bet on the rings.

Watch out for diesel in the engine oil, this can cause engine seizure since diesel is a bad lubricant.

blowby tends to happen over time, not just out of the blue, i would have it looked into deeper. before you tare it all apart to do rings., do a compresson test. your oil level could simply be to high and your engin could be disposing of it out the blowby hose

id do a compression test on it . if it does need rings might as well replace the bearings too good luck

Latest posts

Back