Modifying a cheap grinder into a Silvey 510 style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a project I started on a couple years ago with the help of a friend who is an amazing machinist. The thought was to replicate a Silvey 510 style vice on a $100 Tecomec grinder. The problem with all grinders IMHO except the Silvey is the fact they clamp the chain on the bottom at the driver. When this is done it is not real accurate and the cutters moves when it is being clamped. The Silvey has a pawl system that catches the the rear of the cutter and as you pull back on the chain naturally "seats" the cutter/driver in the rails. To make this even more precise a new vice was constructed with .002" clearance for each gauge. Shims were made so that 50, 58 and 63 gauge would all fit very snug.

The grinder works well, the geometry isn't quite right compared to the Silvey but it would bore most with the minutia. Sorry didn't have good macro shots but you get the idea. The last pic is a pretty worn chain that I just ground in preparation for cutting a half dozen very large white pine. My buddy has a bunch of youngsters who just love pounding nails in trees so I prepped this one in anticipation.

zsvhms.jpg

mhvhh2.jpg

24qnuw4.jpg

fn7pzk.jpg

I miss having that time on a manual, universal mill ("Bridgeport").
Catch a few of your neighbors on sat afternoon when the beer has been flowing.
Hands in front of yourself and fingers pointed at each other hand.
Now challenge you pals to make circles in opposite directions.
for the ones that could, have 'em swap directions of hand loops.
Now the fun part was slowing one hands loop speed and eventually shifting the rotations to same direction and shifting this like this with either hand.
Just for simply eFing with their heads!
I've been out of the shop for too long now
and I really cant do it anymore.

P.S. also, I Never had a girlfriend who didn't appreciate the dexterity.

Glad it is working out. Still haven't found one locally here at a decent price but still looking and watch the boards and craigslist. I too wish to get a Bridgeport some day but you can still get there if you have the desire....just takes a little longer! :dumb2: Thanks for the note too.

Well now that you chimed in......................I think moving the bolt that holds the pawl as high as it can go in the square tubing will improve the geometry of the angle the pawl is at. The angle will be steeper and closer to what the Silvey is at.

Well now that you chimed in......................I think moving the bolt that holds the pawl as high as it can go in the square tubing will improve the geometry of the angle the pawl is at. The angle will be steeper and closer to what the Silvey is at.

Will the notch have to be redone or will it be not that drastic of a change to seat correctly? It's been a while and I don't remember whether those were hardened or not. I know the copies of the originals were. I guess if you need to change them, a file will tell you pretty quick. :cry: In time I'll probably convert my raker grinding fixture to that style. Just another one of those "spare time projects" LOL. Been busy as always here and have had 6 days off since New Years but I'm feeling better so it's coming back....slowly. ;)

I am 'a-pawled'!!!

Seriously, when messing around with some other grinders (Oregon 511A, Tecomec hydraulic, Oregon 310, etc.) I found that the height of the chain positioning dog varied quite a bit between different models. The higher dogs pushed the chain links more in a downward angle and held them better. Too high and they hit the motor! Somewhere in-between is an optimal height, which should not be too difficult to modify, although, they do not push down on the top plate, like the pawls you installed.

photo 1A.jpg
photo 25.jpg

Philbert

Glad it is working out. Still haven't found one locally here at a decent price but still looking and watch the boards and craigslist. I too wish to get a Bridgeport some day but you can still get there if you have the desire....just takes a little longer! :dumb2: Thanks for the note too.
Here is one or two that may still be available.IMG_7889.JPG IMG_7891.JPG IMG_7890.JPG

Glad you chimed in Philbert.:clap:

On the 2nd pic you posted, it appears that the wheel is going to hit the pawl when the wheel comes down unless it is moved back and forth whenever you go from right to left cutters.

(BTW, that is the cleanest grinder I have ever seen):dancing::happybanana: Just jerking you chain.

Will the notch have to be redone or will it be not that drastic of a change to seat correctly? It's been a while and I don't remember whether those were hardened or not. I know the copies of the originals were. I guess if you need to change them, a file will tell you pretty quick. :cry: In time I'll probably convert my raker grinding fixture to that style. Just another one of those "spare time projects" LOL. Been busy as always here and have had 6 days off since New Years but I'm feeling better so it's coming back....slowly. ;)

I'll have to look, but think the notch will be OK. Seems like you said the heat treat made them harder than a stiff pr!ck.

Back