Modifying a saw for extreme conditions science work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously not one recommendation for heated handles. A husky xpg is practically built for ice core samples with its heated carb and handles....

I love a good problem like this. Really get you thinking.

What about a hot knife ( pronounced ka-nife) maybe a rather thin but study piece of stainless heated via conduction, or even a round stainless hot pipe or square that could be melted through the ice while leaving enough solid ice intact for the sample. Power could be from a battery bank or a small generator.

I was thinking that too, but it takes an immense amount of heat to melt ice. Keeping it melted in cold temps is also rather difficult. It would have to be a sleeve, like you say.

They are used in the winter up here for many different tasks. There are some tricks (like maybe a wrap, as you mentioned), but it is quite manageable.

You are from Georgia?

I am from Canada. It is about -11 here right now. Down to -20c tonite. This happens for nearly 7 months of the year around here. We had some -5c’s in August and I think even a -8 that month. That was unusual for August. It’s more normal in September. Our October was beautiful with temps up to +13c or so. Now it is winter, with 8” of snow on the ground. It will be like this until sometime early April..

I’ll ask you for advice about heat, how about that? I have no idea how to deal with heat.

This was all in good natured fun, please forgive me any offence.
Actually I got a kick out of it. Summer here with high humidity, you'd be like a snow man, melt. Ya get used to it,,,,, not. I'm not used to it anymore and I'm 5th generation here. I guess I'd be like a frozen popsicle up your way. Defiantly need a/c down here that's for sure.

Steve

There's only 3 mountains on Earth with an elevation of 28,000+ feet above sea level... You just may be the first person to attempt to run a gas-operated chainsaw up that high.
Let us know what you decide and how things work out!

Strangely enough, you would get used to it. It would take a couple of winters, and some advice from veterans, particularly wrt how to dress and such.

Funny story: I was working on a small job near ft macmurray, Alberta. Some slashers (sawhands) showed up one day. This crew was two black guys originally from the Congo in Africa. I had seen many black slashers, but not a crew of black slashers ( like both guys black). Anyway, a few days later I was having supper with them and asked them how they made out their first winter ( this was about their 5th- I asked them at our first meeting). The one fellow said in all seriousness “I thought I was going to die”. We laughed and laughed. They got advice their first winter from some helpful folks and they were fine.

A few basic tips: never put on damp clothes in the morning. Change your socks and under garments often ( like every day if it’s really cold) Pull your boot liners every night and dry all your stuff if possible. Leave the saws outside all winter. Bring a change of socks every day. Have some spare dry clothes accessible. And on and on. Things that come natural after a while. Keep moving!

A few basic tips: never put on damp clothes in the morning. Change your socks and under garments often ( like every day if it’s really cold) Pull your boot liners every night and dry all your stuff if possible. Leave the saws outside all winter. Bring a change of socks every day. Have some spare dry clothes accessible. And on and on. Things that come natural after a while. Keep moving!

Good tips. I'll add, when you take off your gloves, for whatever reason, tuck them inside your coat, ideally under your armpits. It's much easier to get your fingers warm again if your gloves aren't freezing cold.

What about a hydraulic or pneumatic chainsaw run off of a vehicle mounted pto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to get hydraulic oil warmed up to flow in cold temperatures, once warmed up you're ok as long as you're running.
Forgot to add, air tools get real cold when running them in the winter, I run composite air tools, help keep your hands from freezing.
Steve

Good tips. I'll add, when you take off your gloves, for whatever reason, tuck them inside your coat, ideally under your armpits. It's much easier to get your fingers warm again if your gloves aren't freezing cold.

Hey! Did you ever set liners for keeping line in seismic? That’s how it’s done while tieing the flagging.

So basically I need to wear my hunting gear, of course I can't move to well to build body heat but I stay toasty warm, but in a deer stand, who's moving.

Steve

I used to survey with glass. Standing in the cold with a book and pencil. Trying not to breathe on the lens... Keep your fingers and toes wiggling. Always. Flex and unflex your big muscles too. That will help keep you warm while motionless. That too becomes natural after a while.

They are used in the winter up here for many different tasks. There are some tricks (like maybe a wrap, as you mentioned), but it is quite manageable.

You are from Georgia?

I am from Canada. It is about -11 here right now. Down to -20c tonite. This happens for nearly 7 months of the year around here. We had some -5c’s in August and I think even a -8 that month. That was unusual for August. It’s more normal in September. Our October was beautiful with temps up to +13c or so. Now it is winter, with 8” of snow on the ground. It will be like this until sometime early April..

I’ll ask you for advice about heat, how about that? I have no idea how to deal with heat.

This was all in good natured fun, please forgive me any offence.

Couple years ago we sold an F600 dumptruck to a guy from Fairbanks.

It needed to be hauled off on Landoll. He decided to pick the coldest days of the winter to prep it to be hauled (putting tires that held air, etc)

Anyhow, it's about -25* and we all decided sitting by the stove was the best thing to do.

He's outside in just a 1 piece cardhardt, acting like it's 30*.
I told him he was nuts... "this is HOT, it was -60* this morning at my house!"

Leaving aside the altitude, normal chainsaw is OK for cutting ice - search for "ice carving".
Unverified information: "Melted ice serves as a lubricant, so bar oil is not needed."

Are you traveling there by vehicle?A soft saw case like echo makes you could improve the insulation. I'm thinking kinda like the bag a pizza delivery driver uses. I'd imagine if you get it right you could add in a system w a smaller size battery or a vehicle plug in (or both) to heat it when your close to arrivial and In between cuts. You might be able to rig a heater up for the carburator and fuel tank. There also would be a possibility you could use a wire mesh screen in place of air filter to allow more airflow to help compensate for the altitude. Also would a concrete saw possiably work better?
Good luck! Let us know what you come up with...

Commercial airliners fly at 30k to 40k. The peak of Mt Everest is 29029ft. I don’t think you can push a piston aircraft much above 14k. I would think your only easy options are battery or hand powered core cutter. Both would have serious working drawbacks at high altitude. You could also try to modify an existing chainsaw to run on compressed air but l don’t know how well or long they would cut on a say a SCUBA tank of air.

Latest posts

Back