Modifying a saw for extreme conditions science work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial airliners fly at 30k to 40k. The peak of Mt Everest is 29029ft. I don’t think you can push a piston aircraft much above 14k. I would think your only easy options are battery or hand powered core cutter. Both would have serious working drawbacks at high altitude. You could also try to modify an existing chainsaw to run on compressed air but l don’t know how well or long they would cut on a say a SCUBA tank of air.

Here's one that is not a piston engine....
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ngineers-create-chainsaw-runs-JET-engine.html

It's a concept saw. However, it may be worth it to contact Stihl and talk to them about your application requirements. They may be able to offer you a solution. I don't expect that it will come cheap though, so make sure you are sitting when you look at the price quote.

A piston engine aircraft can fly that high, if it is using some form of forced induction (turbocharger or supercharger). Nearly all WWII aircraft were piston engine and regularly flew that high.

That said, I can't imagine a chainsaw running at that altitude, let alone even starting. The air is awfully thin up there.

Commercial airliners fly at 30k to 40k. The peak of Mt Everest is 29029ft. I don’t think you can push a piston aircraft much above 14k. I would think your only easy options are battery or hand powered core cutter. Both would have serious working drawbacks at high altitude. You could also try to modify an existing chainsaw to run on compressed air but l don’t know how well or long they would cut on a say a SCUBA tank of air.

For Naturally Aspirated piston aircraft, such as a Cessna 172, You are right, The service ceiling is 13,500'

But for Turbo or Super Charged aircraft the service ceiling is in the Airliner realm.

The service ceilings as shown by Wikipedia:

B 17; 35,600'

B 24: 28,000'

B 29: 31,850'

F 4U: 41,500'

P 38: 44,000'

P 47: 43,000'

P 51: 41,900'

So all the OP has to do is FIND a Turbo or Super Charged CHAINSAW, and 28,000' is No Problem ;):)

Doug :cheers:

For Naturally Aspirated piston aircraft, such as a Cessna 172, You are right, The service ceiling is 13,500'

But for Turbo or Super Charged aircraft the service ceiling is in the Airliner realm.

The service ceilings as shown by Wikipedia:

B 17; 35,600'

B 24: 28,000'

B 29: 31,850'

F 4U: 41,500'

P 38: 44,000'

P 47: 43,000'

P 51: 41,900'

So all the OP has to do is FIND a Turbo or Super Charged CHAINSAW, and 28,000' is No Problem ;):)

I don’t know much about aircraft. I prefer boats. The only plane I really like is the Grumman goose because it looks and acts like a boat. If I ever hit the lottery, I just might pick one up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW32-F3xZqs

Comes in a turbo version too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLfBoWercw

I Totally get you with the Boats, I have Columbia River water flowing through my veins.

I do still find aircraft interesting though. I never have understood the idea of jumping out of a PERFECTLY GOOD Aircraft and betting my Life on a pile of nylon, if she's on Fire and into her third spin, Okay, it's Time to EXIT

If I hit a Big Jackpot, a PBY Catalina would be my choice of flying boat, but if they could be found an F 4U Corsair, a B 25 Mitchell, B 17 Fortress, P 51 Mustang or P 38 Lightening would all be Fun

Of course my Grand Banks Classic 49 would be Very High on that list too;)

Maybe he:
  • found an unknown indigenous population and was either killed by them or married the daughter of the tribal leader.
  • had a heart attack when he received the quote for a machine that meets his unique requirements.
  • froze to death at 20,000 feet.
  • said "screw it", threw the bar on the ice, and carved up the side of the mountain. We'll see him destroying the half-pipe in the next X-Games.

All kidding aside, I do hope that he is ok. Based on the info in the OP, it sounds like he could be into some pretty dangerous stuff.

Latest posts

Back