Modifying tools to make them work for you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I’m working on a saw that has Allen bolts to hold the cylinder down.

I could just use a regular Allen key and go by feel, but I wanted to use my torque wrench.

Found a cheap old Allen key, heated it up on a little burner, hammered it straight.

Drilled a hole in a tin can and then heated it up to as hot as I could. It still wasn’t cherry red, but I quenched it anyway.

Put it on a bolt in a vice and took it to 10nm which is the spec I need.

Just shy of 10nm it twisted some, but then somehow firmed up and now I can get 10nm every time and it doesn’t twist any more. Work hardened maybe? Anyway, pleased to announce it will work great and has nice spring to it. As in it will twist slightly but return back to its normal shape.

5B8ACA02-0701-451B-B4A4-F0939FE98F01.jpeg
268D3470-2234-4F2D-9133-12A4BAF191C9.jpeg
27BF48D3-F315-4BCE-87CB-D3FCF6A7BDB1.jpeg8F2F2818-14BD-4FC3-81D7-82D344FCA989.jpeg26AFE5D5-6C28-4539-99A0-45661BF78B3F.jpeg377BE893-D3B1-470D-B6BB-5A654E28B42E.jpeg

1093C700-4A1B-45CD-BEBC-BABE57F50432.jpeg

Necessity is the mother of invention, I have cut off the bend in several long shank Allen keys for similar duties when needed as I don`t always have my full tool sets with me in the field repairs. Heating, bending and re tempering is a bit more work but also gets the job done. I have a few sets of the long shank Allen drives in the tool chests, I didn`t make them but they sure do come in handy,

shopping

Necessity is the mother of invention, I have cut off the bend in several long shank Allen keys for similar duties when needed as I don`t always have my full tool sets with me in the field repairs. Heating, bending and re tempering is a bit more work but also gets the job done. I have a few sets of the long shank Allen drives in the tool chests, I didn`t make them but they sure do come in handy,

shopping
Mine don’t fit down the cylinder fin drilling’s, too wide. I could thin them down on a belt sander, but it’s not ideal..
53B69F62-3051-4070-8B7B-639EB866ECC2.jpeg

The old MSR Pocket Rocket as a patio table top forge trick. Haven't seen that before.

You are definitely creative Tom and I always enjoy seeing what pops up in your threads.
Thank you!

Funnily enough I had another wacky idea to problem solve tonight too. Not saw related.

im half Italian, in Italy where I’m from there is a very traditional type of pasta called Bigoli. It’s like spaghetti, but rough and much thicker
3.5mm diameter.

I have been looking at getting the correct tool to make Bigoli, but it costs 580 dollars, here it is -

3D37AEB4-FEF9-43A0-B4B9-64EEBF0C8546.jpeg

Anyway, I got to thinking how I could make
something work and the aero press came to mind as it has holes that are fairly large. Turns out they are 3.2mm - close enough.

I made the very firm dough put it in the aero press and tried pressing by hand. It wasn’t working at all. Then went to the 6 tonne press and it worked beautifully.

90D9691E-7326-4413-8579-6E4F13B2503A.jpeg92917F89-8779-480F-A188-54E548C4784E.jpeg246C9A7A-9AD8-44C8-80E9-87AF67EF978A.jpeg

Tonight’s dinner.. “Bigoli con carne”
703D2756-9310-41B0-A573-8A35A6A7EC55.jpeg

In all seriousness, the twisting trick is pretty neat. I use a cheapy t-handle allen wrench that came as part of the assembly kit for some outdoor furniture and I eyeball how much of a twist it has in it for my torque specs. For a "free" tool, they are remarkably handy and I have yet to see one strip, twist, or get damaged.

Mine don’t fit down the cylinder fin drilling’s, too wide. I could thin them down on a belt sander, but it’s not ideal..
View attachment 898157
Do you have any drill bits, one just a tiny bit larger than the allen bit? The aluminum cooling fins drill out easily.

Thank you!

Funnily enough I had another wacky idea to problem solve tonight too. Not saw related.

im half Italian, in Italy where I’m from there is a very traditional type of pasta called Bigoli. It’s like spaghetti, but rough and much thicker
3.5mm diameter.

I have been looking at getting the correct tool to make Bigoli, but it costs 580 dollars, here it is -

Anyway, I got to thinking how I could make
something work and the aero press came to mind as it has holes that are fairly large. Turns out they are 3.2mm - close enough.

I made the very firm dough put it in the aero press and tried pressing by hand. It wasn’t working at all. Then went to the 6 tonne press and it worked beautifully.

View attachment 898168

Tonight’s dinner.. “Bigoli con carne”

Toms next thread title.

How to fix Aero Press that has cracked, will jb weld or fencing wire do it ?

Tom you need a Sawa cookie maker, thrift shops are full of them for $5.

Toms next thread title.

How to fix Aero Press that has cracked, will jb weld or fencing wire do it ?

Tom you need a Sawa cookie maker, thrift shops are full of them for $5.
Haha, na I don’t think you’ll get enough leverage on the cookie maker. It takes a lot of pressure. The dough is very hard, not like normal pasta dough.

I do, but the Hex shank is still too short :(
The Wiha tools make the long shank sets that will fit the stock factory holes, you would never go wrong owning a set or just buy the ones that fit chainsaw bolts/screws. I use the T27 one more than any other, it shows and feels no wear after 8 -10 years of wrenching. The 6" to 8" long ones give your fingers plenty of clearance from those top cylinder fins.

The Whia tools make the long shank sets that will fit the stock factory holes, you would never go wrong owning a set or just buy the ones that fit chainsaw bolts/screws. I use the T27 one more than any other, it shows and feels no wear after 8 -10 years of wrenching. The 6" to 8" long ones give your fingers plenty of clearance from those top cylinder fins.
Thanks mate, I ended up buying this set earlier today and sold my other set above for $35 so basically just swapped over sets lol.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.audel.com.au/amp/ajax-150hxset6-hex-power-bit-set-150mm-6pcs/

Back