moding an 026 Stihl, any thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodbreaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been thinking more and more of having my 026 Stihl gone through and reconditioned. Besides the usual honing the cylinder, new rings, a carb kit, etc. I've been thinking of a muffler mod and a port job. Looking for input as to what else would make this saw perform better. I would like to keep this project under $300. Was also considering replacing the 026 w/ a 261 but the 261 seems a bit heavy for the power. As of right now it seems reconditioning the 026 seems a better option. For the record the 026 runs pretty good right now, but is is getting old and it would be easier the recon the saw now rather then wait til it's wore out and takes that much more to get it running right.

I will be hiring the job out so labor is a factor. Also I'm looking for a shop that would do this somewhere reasonably close to me. I'm in central Minnesota.

Thanks,
Sod Breaker

How worn? Check the compression, maybe the muffler is plugged. Honing is not usually recommended. If you muff mod it you'll be surprised how it performs. Mine runs an 18" bar with .325 rs or rm chain as well as my stock 346NE does. Porting wakes them up but just a muff mod does wonders.

Back