Moral conundrum.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start guys out at $12.50 for ground work, $15 to climb. Prove your worth for a week, groundie goes to $15, climber gets $20. Don't prove your worth after a week, you're usually gone.

Paying climbers typically has a ton of variables. If the climber has they're own gear and trim saw, they usually make a percentage.

I occasionally use a guy that climbs, but does absolutely zero groundwork. It's great for me because he does his thing and leaves the site. Groundies are happy because they get more hours in the long run.

It sounds like you want out, have wanted out, and are using this moral high ground position as an excuse to get out faster. If I gave a two week notice, I'd stick it out because I don't like burning bridges. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you can control the labour market (major unions, or highly specialized consultants), you pay the wages that the market dictates not what you think it's worth. Yes, this is a dangerous and skilled job, but it's not that dangerous and skilled, unlike say the NFL where only 1500 people (out of a population of 300,000,000) have the skills and ability to play.

It's painful to see those huge charge rates be eaten up with liability insurance, worker's comp, vehicle (ownership/operating) costs, equipment (ownership/operating) costs, gear replacement, marketing, accounting and lawyer fees. Ask all the owners here, if they're rolling in the dough at the end of the day. I would suspect most of them would be happy if they make a reasonable wage and a little company profit.
I don't think the issue is about controlling wages. I believe we need to bill ourselves out at a higher rate and support our competition to do the same. However, some will take advantage of the situation to make more money for themselves rather than all of us have more money in the end.

Employment is a two way street.....you have to agree to do the work and there has to be someone willing to pay for the work to be done.....many times guys will accept less to get work. My competition has no problem marching out a steady stream of bums to work for him for nothing, but it is cash in hand at the end of the day.

You told them two weeks and you broke your word. That means something. Also, who died and made you the kids protector? If you have been in this industry for 18 years and are making the transition from spikes, you still have a lot to learn. You should see a doctor, your ego is terribly swollen.

I was on farmer labour rates when I started with a company fresh out of college, £50 a day in 2001, I was learning so I accepted it
That was half ground half climbing

Sent from my GT-I9100

I'm so old I remember working for minimum wage at $3.35/hr. Yup, that's $26/day, gross. It wasn't tree work but similar labor work, working on a farm. Skills in a tree, a born natural? I've been up in the trees since I was 9 climbing freestyle and I have the pics to prove it. Didn't mean I was going to make more.

What I know currently is the kid is making at least his $12/hr because he's still working and currently you're working day to day if the work shows, no guarantees. Actually, the new guy may have gotten a raise and promotion since you left. Maybe your leaving wasn't so bad for him.

I'm so old I remember working for minimum wage at $3.35/hr. Yup, that's $26/day, gross. It wasn't tree work but similar labor work, working on a farm. Skills in a tree, a born natural? I've been up in the trees since I was 9 climbing freestyle and I have the pics to prove it. Didn't mean I was going to make more.

What I know currently is the kid is making at least his $12/hr because he's still working and currently you're working day to day if the work shows, no guarantees. Actually, the new guy may have gotten a raise and promotion since you left. Maybe your leaving wasn't so bad for him.
Yeah the good ole days, I remember $1.25/hr working on a farm.

12$ an hour to start no experience is fair. Putting the guy in a tree before he knows basic knots saw handling and roping is real dumb. Climbing on the first day? Places I worked u weren't even allowed to touch a piece of equiptment till u watched people do it and could show the foreman u knew everything about it.

I'll throw in, here: What the new fellow is making is none of your concern. You gave two week's notice, and I would expect your word to be your bond. If you bailed on me before the two weeks were up, I'd be sure to let other possible employers in my social circle know. No offense meant, whatsoever.

Ah so the truth arises .... Your not going to admit it but he is a cheaper solution then you ! That's sobering to hear the company has a cheaper and younger solution I'm sure , I wouldn't know that feeling every job I've ever quit would take me back I don't do the whole back door **** ! And when all is said and done if you leave a situation that you will never be welcomed back too your also at fault !

I did too for about a week in a sonic drive in, I had already made 5. on the farm. but TBH that 3.35 is now what 7. something? Back then a 20 dollar bill was like today's 50 nothing has really changed

$100 / week (a week equaled 6 & 1/2 days) plus room and board on a dairy farm for a couple of summers in the early 1980's.
There was an incalculable $$$ value to the character building aspect of it.
Will carry those memories to my grave. Unforgettable experience.

I won't even put my clothes on and walk out the door for $100 a day

Thank you Linda Evangelista

Linda Evangelista (born May 10, 1965) is a Canadian model. She has been featured on over 600 magazine covers. Evangelista is mostly known for being the longtime muse of photographer Steven Meisel, as well as coining the phrase "We don't wake up for less than $10,000 a day

image.jpg I am hoping an Art class doing an abstract science fiction project can't find anyone else to pose as Cyclops.
I'm gonna send them a photo. Feeling hopeful.

Latest posts

Back