Morbark 13 goin down...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArborist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 1997 Morbark 13 ( Cummins Diesel) has been blowing oil out of the crankcase vent tube. Have posted here about it before. The problem has gotten worse (more oil). My local Morbark mechanic says he wouldn't recommend getting into the engine on this one - time for a new chipper.
Have had trouble making contact with the closest Cummins service/dealer.
Two questions: 1)Anyone know someone in my area that can help. 2)Any leads on a chipper comparable. to the Morbark 13 in my area. I'm in Carrboro, NC 30 miles from Raleigh, NC
Thanks!

Cummins 3.9

My initial investigation said that the 3.9 engine replacement is going to set me back $6000.00. That's what I paid for the chipper in '04. Does the price sound right? Just wondered if the 6 grand would be better spent on a newer piece of equipment.

so my assumption was correct about it having a 3.9 , you shoul be able to find one on ebay for 2500 bucks or so, i know i seen a few probly 15, sell at a auction not to long ago for 800 each

Your still ahead

Put a new engine in and your still ahead.
$6000 for that chipper and you have been using it for 3 years,
you have already gotten your money out of it and then some.
You can probable get it rebuilt for 3 or 4,000 at any machine shop that does rebuilds.
Cummins are easy to do, thats one reason they are so popular.
or
You can probable get $3 to 4,000 for it as-is and then use that money as a down payment on a new one. But your talking $40k (I think) for a new model 15 (same as the 13).
If I was you I would probable take engine out and have it rebuilt.

Latest posts

Back