More free wood for me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I get this E-mail that a friend of my Mom's is having some poplars taken down and I can have it for fire wood. If I don't want it they will have it hauled away. Free is free but how is Poplar? Is it worth the 1/2 hour drive one way and the cutting, loading, unloading and splitting? I am already 1 year ahead (I think) how well does poplar keep in a pile in the North East for an extended period of time?

Thanks for any info you can share.

poplar is my least favorite woodstove wood . not much heat ,burns up quick.
it dries fast and will keep if dry .
if you are 2 yrs ahead I wouldnt bother.
I give it to my 15 year old son and he cuts it up into campfire wood for sale at the race track.
Mick

I use it for fall and spring burning when the demand for heat is not as great. It burns too quickly to count on it to get you through the night in January. My OWB dosen't kick on as often in milder weather so it will last longer then. For an indoor stove it would burn hot but not as long as most other hardwoods. Not bad for taking the chill out of the house in the morning but you would be stoking the stove all day in colder weather.

well I will see how much there is gonna be. They ain't on the ground yet but it is mine if I want it.

Maybe I will just mix it in with my maple. I have lots of maple.

Take it, I would. Cut, split, pile it and toss something over the top part of the pile. I mix it in with better woods, it throws alot of heat but just doesn't last long or provide coals.

I don't think it will be a PITA, I believe it will be felled right in their yard. Just back up with the trailer and cut and load. I will do most of the cuttin there to save clean up on my yard.

I use it for fall and spring burning when the demand for heat is not as great. It burns too quickly to count on it to get you through the night in January. My OWB dosen't kick on as often in milder weather so it will last longer then. For an indoor stove it would burn hot but not as long as most other hardwoods. Not bad for taking the chill out of the house in the morning but you would be stoking the stove all day in colder weather.

Easy to cut, easy to split, easy to cure. Burns nice enough, and I do believe you said it was free. Around here people frown on it but it is perhaps the most abundant tree around. I'll take every one I can get.

:agree2:

Sounds like easy pickings, take it and try it out in the spring or fall of 2010. It lights easy when dry, so you can always split it small and use it for starting the maple.

I'd take even with 5 or 6 year supply already in. I can't see letting it go on a burn pile. I burn mostly willow (building stock of locust now) and it isn't much different.

Free 'poor' wood beats no wood atall.

Harry K

I'd take even with 5 or 6 year supply already in. I can't see letting it go on a burn pile. I burn mostly willow (building stock of locust now) and it isn't much different.

Free 'poor' wood beats no wood atall.

Harry K

How is willow to burn?? I just had a GIANT willow taken down in my back yard and I have moved the wood to a spot in the country.

I have a fireplace but it is mostly for looks. I burn way more wood outside in the summer in the fire pit.

I have a stock of maple, oak, locust and cedar for inside.

You'll get 18,000,000 per cord....not bad for free!
Cherry is 20,000,000 and oak is 24-26,500,000.

Like it's been said already. It's great for the beginning and end of the heating season when the demand for heat is lower.

How is willow to burn?? I just had a GIANT willow taken down in my back yard and I have moved the wood to a spot in the country.

I have a fireplace but it is mostly for looks. I burn way more wood outside in the summer in the fire pit.

I have heated my house for 30 years almost soley with it. It does take a lot more of it than the good hardwoods but good hardwoods (other than locust) are not availble out here. Willow will hold a fire for me all night - not much heat but enough to restart it in the morning.

I sell some to a guy with a "party barn" and a fire pit. He loves it for the fire pit.

Harry K
Harry K

poplar is my least favorite woodstove wood . not much heat ,burns up quick.
it dries fast and will keep if dry .
if you are 2 yrs ahead I wouldnt bother.
I give it to my 15 year old son and he cuts it up into campfire wood for sale at the race track.
Mick

Agreed on the relative worthlessness of "Popple"...but to some folks...wood is wood..You going to the big race this month Mickeyd? I will be there..hanging out with my daughter and all her TV pals. We have a great time every race!!

:cheers:

Unless it's VERY well seasoned, Willow burns like :censored: and smells even worse when it burns. I cut up a bunch for my brother-in-law and ended up giving it all away.

Agreed on the relative worthlessness of "Popple"...but to some folks...wood is wood..You going to the big race this month Mickeyd? I will be there..hanging out with my daughter and all her TV pals. We have a great time every race!!

:cheers:

No race for me. I am only a casual fan and the crowd and traffic isnt worth it . I did go once .full VIP treatment , helicopter in , golf cart to seats . if I could do that every race I would go.
Mick

Back