More juice in the MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlahoi

Reaction score
Hi

After getting lost in the forum, google and youtube jungle for the past 3hours my brain is absolutely fryed and i dont know where im at anymore:cold:
Anyhow i want some more juice in the old 261.
Its a work saw so im not after 100hp gain and red glowing exhaust but alitle more umpf would be nice.
Running a 20" bar with 3/8.

Reading something about it not responding so well to porting? is it a waste?
So is removing gasket, MM and timing a good way to go on these saws?

Thanks in advance.

Now i need fresh air and a drink :clap:o_O

Absolutely, put a bigger saw on that 20". 60cc might work but I would definetly prefere a 70cc.
A 261at 50cc and 2,8 / 3kw, I have an 18" on my Dolmar 5105 that is reserved for felling.
Around here the 261 will come with a 13" as standard, but it can drive an 18" nearly buried in wood if you have some patience.
A 70cc however, will drive that 20" with authority.

stihl performance kit.
probably more of a difference when compared to 3/8 standard chain

I'm not sure how helpful it is to you when people tell you that you should actually use another saw. I'd agree that the 261 isn't ideal for 20" and is better on an 18" but that's what you've got and after all it's your question.
Strangely I've just bought an ms261 in order to port it. They seem to have a reputation of porting well.
I've serviced it and it cuts really well with 3/8 1.6mm on an 18" bar.
I've timed it on a standard cut and today did the MM and air intake improvement. I've gone for 75% of the exhaust port size and a foam filter. It certainly runs well and I'll retime it and let you know the power increase (hope it is an increase!!).
I plan to do a simple base gasket delete and then measure the power again.
Hopefully then it will run a 20" bar (depends on what you're cutting though).
i've never actually measured at each stage before so this should be interesting.

Put a bigger saw on that 20'' 3/8 bar & chain. 261 is much happier with .325 18'' at most, yes I do have one and a bunch of other strong 50cc saws, they just do not shine with that big bar.
that is correct my 261 love the 18"
I have a 241 that loves the 16"
my 590 eco runs the 20
372 clone 24"

I tend to run smaller bars. but my saws are mostly stock with just muffler mods. I tend to like having the power and I look at when I was cutting trees professionally on the right of ways was you can still cut pretty big trees with smaller bars but when you are walking on right of ways. I didnt want to carry a big saw
261 or 550 was right of way saw of choice.

Hi

After getting lost in the forum, google and youtube jungle for the past 3hours my brain is absolutely fryed and i dont know where im at anymore:cold:
Anyhow i want some more juice in the old 261.
Its a work saw so im not after 100hp gain and red glowing exhaust but alitle more umpf would be nice.
Running a 20" bar with 3/8.

Reading something about it not responding so well to porting? is it a waste?
So is removing gasket, MM and timing a good way to go on these saws?

Thanks in advance.

Now i need fresh air and a drink :clap:o_O
18" 325 NK and a muffler mod will do the most for this tiny saw.

A wise man once told me, as a general rule for best results:

stock 40cc - 16" max bar length
50cc - 18" max
60cc - 20" max
70cc - 28" max

Lots of nuances, but just a general rule
I'm a bad person. Changing this 50cc saw to a 24" bar after testing and break-in is finished. Yup it's ported now with extensive mods on it. The air filter will be last and the new intake choke point.

Took me about 3 seconds to find this on the tubes?
I run a 20" 3/8ths bar on my husqvarna 55 and it has significantly less balls than a 261 so maybe focus on chain sharpening? Hell 20" goes on my 54cc McCulloch 10-10, poulan 3400, homelite xl 12.
The MS261 has plenty of snot to run a 20" bar.

I'm not sure how helpful it is to you when people tell you that you should actually use another saw. I'd agree that the 261 isn't ideal for 20" and is better on an 18" but that's what you've got and after all it's your question.
Strangely I've just bought an ms261 in order to port it. They seem to have a reputation of porting well.
I've serviced it and it cuts really well with 3/8 1.6mm on an 18" bar.
I've timed it on a standard cut and today did the MM and air intake improvement. I've gone for 75% of the exhaust port size and a foam filter. It certainly runs well and I'll retime it and let you know the power increase (hope it is an increase!!).
I plan to do a simple base gasket delete and then measure the power again.
Hopefully then it will run a 20" bar (depends on what you're cutting though).
i've never actually measured at each stage before so this should be interesting.
run a 20 inch .325 on the ported 261 and don't look back. I run on and it is a lite light light sabre.

Back