MS250 vs MS261..not the kind of thread you think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The email notification got me back here...

As an update to the OP... I now own a 250 and 261cm.

I put a walbro carb on the 250 as the fix for my starting and running issues. It has been mint since. Fires in 6 pulls or less no fuss, runs like a top. Responsive to minute needle carb adjustmemts.

I bought a used 261cm for a good price....couldnt resist.

The two saws are night and day in torque and power. The 250 is on a slow Sunday stroll and the 261cm is just singin while getting pushed. The 261 is also smoother.

For my intended purpose, a properly running 250 will get the job done, but it feels a bit slouchy sometimes. The 261cm is a lot more spirited and nicer to handle and cut with.

I might sell the 250 one day. Afterall theres no sense keeping 2 saws so close in size.

The email notification got me back here...

As an update to the OP... I now own a 250 and 261cm.

I put a walbro carb on the 250 as the fix for my starting and running issues. It has been mint since. Fires in 6 pulls or less no fuss, runs like a top. Responsive to minute needle carb adjustmemts.

I bought a used 261cm for a good price....couldnt resist.

The two saws are night and day in torque and power. The 250 is on a slow Sunday stroll and the 261cm is just singin while getting pushed. The 261 is also smoother.

For my intended purpose, a properly running 250 will get the job done, but it feels a bit slouchy sometimes. The 261cm is a lot more spirited and nicer to handle and cut with.

I might sell the 250 one day. Afterall theres no sense keeping 2 saws so close in size.
Yep. My 250 is a great little saw-for what it is. The 261c is a really great saw. My 250 will probably go down the road, too, at some point.

Kind of a rhetorical thread title... the ms261 flat out destroys the ms250 in every aspect straight out of the box performance wise, stronger construction, more power, probably better subcomponents, has the "pro" saw title, everyone is of the opinion it is a better saw...NO matter what, BUY IT. Buy the best baddest biggest saw you can afford. Well, why?

I own an extremely low hour ms250 non molested saw...bought it second hand. The saw hasnt been reliable in any way shape or form. Dont know what the previous owner did or didnt do with it. Im in the process of diag and repair but it mostly checks out...cant be too many things left that could be the problem with it.

Kind of regret buying it. Pretty big waste of time so far.

I can/couldve afforded ms261 instead of this ms250.

But thats not the point.

If the goal is to:

-Not ever modify the p/c
-Not ever mod the exhaust
-sharpen/replace chain as needed
-Just put bar oil and ethanol free fuel in it and stabilizer/stihl oil and use it a dozen times a year for less than a tank of fuel at a time
-HAS to start rain snow or shine in 5-10 pulls or less when its pulled out of the case and run immaculately....zero fuss; buckin wood in a minute or less everytime
-has to do it for a decade+ without major components (anything more than a plug, air filter, fuel filter, impulse line or fuel line is a major component to me)

Is there actually any advantage going with a 261 over a 250 given those conditions I am seeking a saw for?

Why is there 50 m250 "my saw is a piece of %&@&" threads for every 1 ms261 "my saw is a piece of #@$!/" thread?

Is there something inherently wrong with ms250/clam shell/"cheaper" saws?
(Even though the ms250 is still 3x the price of a poulan...and I know of poulans that run better than my saw...but I bought a stihl because I thought they were turn key saws no fuss?)

Or is it likely people who buy an ms250 are careless, run ethanol fuel, toss it in the back 40 after 1 cut then go to use it and now its not running right?
And people who buy a 261 take care of their tool, use it often enough, etc?

I'm failing to see how my saw turned into such a piece of crap reliability wise.

Both saws are on the air/compression + fuel + spark and they run theory...

Should I buy a ms261 for inherent reliability?

If I had just bought a brand new ms250 and treated it properly, would I not be having issues?

Once I baseline my ms250, is it going to run flawlessly for the conditions I want a saw for?
Will a 261 do it any better?

Do all chainsaws run like pieces of crap if theyre not used regularly from day 1 purchase?

Shed some light here please
I know this is an old thread but I gotta say it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. There are a lot of complaints about the 250, myself included, but I think a lot of those involve people who probably have no business handling a power saw. If someone who knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about cars went out and bought a Ferrari to haul wood and use in the snow, they'd think it was a POS. Drive a Hummer H1 into a brick wall enough times it's going to stop running....that doesn't mean it's a sissy truck!

I have a 250 that Pops purchased new the first year they were out and it’s been used heavily ever since. He cut 12-15 cord of mostly oak and maple a year until he purchased a 251 and gave me the 250 a few years back. It was my main saw for three years and I cut close to 80 cord with it. Actual cords, not face cords. Spark plugs, fuel lines, clutch stuff and a couple other things like a couple AV mounts and a new carb at one point and it’s been am awesome little saw.

I now have an 026 and 066 and use them all for what they were built for. The little 250 gets used for limbing and just won’t quit. Maybe I got a “good one” ? Or maybe cleaning it after every use has prolonged its life that much. Don’t know but I’d happily buy another.

Latest posts

Back