Most Durable sharpening,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
max88

max88

What grinding angles on a semi chisel chain and full chisel would give the most dirt resistant chain. Im grinding with and oregon 520 grinder and CBN wheels.
Kind regards from Denmark Max

user 122190
Keep it out of the dirt and sharpen often. Fine tuning it depends on you and what you are cutting, maybe. I stick to factory and sharpen often.

Years ago we had a user who played with the angles, and his 70+ was a maniac in wood, but dulled real fast.

firekindler

firekindler

ArboristSite Lurker
For some years now, I've been filing chains for that purpose at 25/0. I cut dirtyish wood on a regular basis, which prompted this modification from the conventional. I use 3/8 chain exclusively. Shifting to 1/4" files allows me to get the "lack of hook" side profile I seek, which holds up better in grittier conditons without having to follow up and clean out the gullet with another pass to pull decent chips in cleaner wood. It cuts a little slower in pristine conditions, but those are not that common for me. In the long run, I get more production with less sharpening time. I still need a 7/32" file for the first filing, to modify the angles and still actually fit between the cutter and raker. That's a pain in the butt, but necessary to achieve the longer term goal.
Hope that makes sense. Hit me up if you'd like clarification.

Latest posts