Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite Super EZ

Growing up, I used big ol McCullochs. The first saw I bought on my own was a used Homelite Super EZ. Crude by today's standards (no chainbrake or anti-vibe), but that thing was light, and cut great with a sharp chain.
My next saw was a new Stihl 041 Farm Boss, and I loved the raw power. Now I have a stable of Huskys, but I kind of miss that Super EZ (and my youth)!

Growing up, I used big ol McCullochs. The first saw I bought on my own was a used Homelite Super EZ. Crude by today's standards (no chainbrake or anti-vibe), but that thing was light, and cut great with a sharp chain.
My next saw was a new Stihl 041 Farm Boss, and I loved the raw power. Now I have a stable of Huskys, but I kind of miss that Super EZ (and my youth)!

yes, like i posted above, my old homelites never failed me. i just sold my old, red 240 and blue 150ez on ebay though. moving, must purge....

There are a lot of saws that work (and mod) great as GTG saws or firewood saws that are sh!t as commercial saws, so this is a tough one (popular opinion wise). As a faller, I'm gonna give you my "best" saw - Stihl 440.
It all depends on what your gonna use it for. Sawing for a living brings about a different outcome for a saw than the occasional GTG or cord of wood. If it ain't commercial, buy what you like regardless of rep, as long as you have dealer support (and have fun with it, it's a luxury!!) . - Sam

Well said and I agree. Hard to beat a 440, the best 70cc made ever.:bowdown:

You meant most overrated right?

As a general rule, anything hyped on AS will be a major let down. Saws seldomly talked about on AS make the biggest waves in the saw market. The Husky 455 and MS290 come to mind. Entry level saws sow the seeds for brand loyalty that will keep consumers coming back.

As a general rule, anything hyped on AS will be a major let down. Saws seldomly talked about on AS make the biggest waves in the saw market. The Husky 455 and MS290 come to mind. Entry level saws sow the seeds for brand loyalty that will keep consumers coming back.

Good post PB ya DA! I know alot of guys that are going to cry when they find out the 290 is no longer made.

Anything with a plastic crankcase. People like to trash them for that simple reason despite being reliable, popular saws. The MS290 and the Husky 350's are/were large selling saws.

The Jonsered 2165 is also under rated. Frequently when people ask about them, it isn't too long before someone says "you can upgrade to a big bore". The 2165 is a very strong saw stock, and will cut just about even with a 2171 in smaller wood. It is much cheaper than the 2171 too.

:agree2: I still say the 2165/365 will do anything the average guy needs to do with a saw and then some. Its the best bang for your buck!:cheers:

Last edited:
Jonsered 2188, 390xp's cousin, but much hotter than her. :blush:

Not possible. The 390xp is just plain sexy. I got in trouble last weekend, I commented on that sexy red head sitting in the garage(390xp), the wife figures it out(red head) and says you dumb a@@ thats not red(I'm color blind) and she says I thought you were talking about me. Its a hot saw and I doubt there's many hotter.

One I had in mind is the 575XP. I have run a couple of them now and for the crap they get on here, they are a fine running and strong saw.

I agree.My next door neighbor cuts and sells between 3 and 4 hundred cord of firewood per year, and he blocks it all with the saws. He has two x 575 xp and a 357 I think.He has had nothing but luck with the 575's.Keeps them two years and trades them.

Back