Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree.My next door neighbor cuts and sells between 3 and 4 hundred cord of firewood per year, and he blocks it all with the saws. He has two x 575 xp and a 357 I think.He has had nothing but luck with the 575's.Keeps them two years and trades them.

I trashed on the 575xp and felt like a a$$ after I ran one. Like the old saying goes ""Don't knock until you try it!"" In this case really try it!

pro saw folly

I think that the husqvarna 455 gets a really bad wrap on this site. I have one and the thing runs circles around other saws with sim. ccd. My friend has an 029 with muffler mod it can't cut with it. ( we both use the same type of chain and 20" bars) and my uncle has the newer 029 I think is now called a 290 it does a fair job hanging with my husky (but only if I sharpen his chain he is a file tard) I haven't had the saw for that long but I have cut about 10 chords of firewood with it. Mostly oak with a random cherry and hickory. All in all this saw seems to be very well made. I haven't had any of the oiler issues that I've seen talked about on here. The prob. is not with the oiler anyway it is the bar. The oil port stops up but if you clean it every 3rd tank of fuel it doesn't seem to be a problem. have never seen the chain run dry on this saw. Anyway that my 2 cents happy sawing

I know I'm going to get black-balled:cry:off the website for this, but my dad always used homelite 360's. Used them for half my life before switching to Makita/Dolmar. Never seen him do anything to those saws except plugs, filters. B/C are a given, they wear out.

My 2 main saws are Homelite 330 and a 360, they are worth their weight in gold! I love them!!!

I have a cheap little efco mt 3700 that i love. Always starts no matter how cold doesnt bog on anything and only 9 lbs. A only paid 180 brand new for a display model

I contemplated this question today while out sawing for six hours. A good operator that takes very good care of a saw can make any number of different brands and size saws work well. But a poor operator doing little maintenance and a poor job at that, will eventually have trouble with even the most highly recomended model.

That being said, I see that most guys on here do not have just one saw but many. I have only one saw and it has to work or my time is wasted.I cant just go back to the truck/or home and get another. I basically do TSI on family property on my own time.The terrain is steep, snow covered,and the tree species vary considerably.The saw must not be heavy but be powerful enough for a 20" tree but handy enough for 1" saplings. I have a Husky 353.I like it a lot.Other than a water in the gas issue, It has served me well.Five more tanks of fuel through it again today and one blown a part chain.:chainsaw:

Homelite 150. Toss it off a cliff an it will still work.

Don't have to worry about loaning it out.

I contemplated this question today while out sawing for six hours. A good operator that takes very good care of a saw can make any number of different brands and size saws work well. But a poor operator doing little maintenance and a poor job at that, will eventually have trouble with even the most highly recomended model.

That being said, I see that most guys on here do not have just one saw but many. I have only one saw and it has to work or my time is wasted.I cant just go back to the truck/or home and get another. I basically do TSI on family property on my own time.The terrain is steep, snow covered,and the tree species vary considerably.The saw must not be heavy but be powerful enough for a 20" tree but handy enough for 1" saplings. I have a Husky 353.I like it a lot.Other than a water in the gas issue, It has served me well.Five more tanks of fuel through it again today and one blown a part chain.:chainsaw:

Don't start collectin' them....Real hard to stop!Don't listen to what ANY of these guys tell you about acquisitions.......

Leaves more of them around for us addicts.....:laugh:

If you are looking for a very good underated firewood saw then the Husqvarna 365 is about the least talked about but one of the best pricewise. They have been sold for hundreds of $ less than the more popular 372 all along and now there is a clearout sale on them if they are not all gone. Would have to check at the service dept. but they were going for $550. +tax a little while back. The 455 was about in the same price range and received a lot more attention.
Pioneerguy600

i just got a 365 about a month ago it is a good saw, a lot of people are not familiar with it it rips as good as it bucks:cheers: i will run it untill it goes hopefully a long time then it will get the bb kit:clap:

I think that the husqvarna 455 gets a really bad wrap on this site. I have one and the thing runs circles around other saws with sim. ccd. My friend has an 029 with muffler mod it can't cut with it. ( we both use the same type of chain and 20" bars) and my uncle has the newer 029 I think is now called a 290 it does a fair job hanging with my husky (but only if I sharpen his chain he is a file tard) I haven't had the saw for that long but I have cut about 10 chords of firewood with it. Mostly oak with a random cherry and hickory. All in all this saw seems to be very well made. I haven't had any of the oiler issues that I've seen talked about on here. The prob. is not with the oiler anyway it is the bar. The oil port stops up but if you clean it every 3rd tank of fuel it doesn't seem to be a problem. have never seen the chain run dry on this saw. Anyway that my 2 cents happy sawing[/Q

i personally hate these saws i have owned 3 of them. a lot of breakdowns
:jawdrop:

I got an old McCullough pro mac 610 that I bought new about 30 years ago. 60cc, 20 in bar. It'll cut through oak with ease (when the chain is sharp). Still use it all the time. Great little saw. :cheers:

Since I am a one saw man.I cure the stuck saw problem by unbolting the power head and putting on another bar/chain.Yes,,its a pain, but I don`t stick a saw too often.I`m usually within a few hundred yards of the truck. I more than once did not have a spare bar and chain and since I am a one saw man I was forced to chop the tree in half to free the saw. Thank god for a good sharp Fiskars pro Axe,youthful determination,and a softer species of tree.( the worst was only an 18" box elder)

I always carry that Axe(painted orange handle)and plastic felling wedges in small and medium.The Axe is never more than a few feet away.

If I keep hanging around here and reading, I can see where the itch for another saw could take root.

yes, like i posted above, my old homelites never failed me. i just sold my old, red 240 and blue 150ez on ebay though. moving, must purge....

The first saw I ever ran was a homelite 150. I was about 12. Dad had that saw until I was about 30.
It was a great little brush and climbing saw. Light, reliable, and a good balance os weight chain and power.
Dad was topping a tree and dropped it breaking case. He was disgusted to lose his little climbing saw.
It was no firewood saw, but a great little climbing saw and brush saw.

I've been very impressed with my 141; especially given the bad rap it gets for being a "Huskapoulan".

BUT...I did find a problem with it today. I could not keep a chain on it while cutting brush (anyone have an FS-250 they want to sell cheap?), and had to do the job with my 61.

When lined up on the bar, the chain rides against the sprocket drum, so any loose twig that gets in on that side derails the chain.

I have a rim and drum that I haven't installed yet, so I'm hoping I can solve the problem when I put that together. Seems a shame I can't cut brush with my smallest saw.

That being said, I probably wouldn't cut brush with a 346XP if I had one...

Cheap little Efco?

I just sold a CS 36(same thing). I have had a Mac Wildcat (38cc) and still have a MS 210 and a another CS 36. The only thing the Stihl has that I would like on the Efco/JD saw is the adjuster for the chain. Anybody want to buy a pretty nice MS210? Its not the saw the 011 was or the 009 I ran either. If I find a CS46 (or any other size Efco) cheap enough I'd buy it.

Latest posts

Back