Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underrated

Mastermind 346 xp 3/8 I know lots of people say they are great. That is a huge understatement. With a sharp chain its beyond the sum of its parts. It cuts like a BIG saw.

I never read any love on here for the Jonsered 2240. Have been running one a couple years now. Can be had for under $300 and provide 40cc of reliability. Not a pro grade. Maybe not the saw to pick if you'll be running it hard every day. But for 1-3 days a week during the cooler months, it's holding up well for us and weighs in at under 10 lbs (PHO).

My how things have changed on AS since I joined in 2008:

The tone seemed to be everyone was afraid to go against the Stihl heads and I remember when Wanab and Bookerdog was always stirring it up. Then a get together and everyone is talking about Bookerdog's modded 346. Then I read years later that others and even Brad is saying the 346xp nE is the most impressive saw, EVER. (I believe that's right.) Well... I was pretty naive starting out in the tree business, but after six and a half years, I've had a long period of time to run saws and learn about them. To know what they're really like day in and day out.

Oh yeah, why'd I pick the MS 192t?

I've owned and ran at least 5 200ts in 5 1/2 years. I know you guys are gonna disagree, but I always had carb issues. I was always taking them in to get them worked on or adjusted. The dealer finally got one right and it was great! But my 192 was always our backup. It had been since the first of 2009. But it was always used because there was always a 200t in the shop.

When the 200t is on, it's ON. It's like some high performance sports car. But in the same respect, it's always needing to be adjusted.

The 192t? We just start it and run it. It's not as fast or powerful, but I NEVER have to tinker with it or take it into the shop. One time, my guy dropped it from about 50 feet. It landed on the bar tip. Bought another b/c and finished the job. I know it's not as nice or expensive as a 200t but for bang for the buck, I'll take the 192t everytime.

If it's even possible...

Now, to weird you out even more...

I had a 346xp, old school, and it was great. You couldn't kill it. I bought it from a tree company and it looked like it was on its last leg. Case cracked and it had a hole with gorilla tape covering it on the air filter cover. We ran it hard for five more years. We abused that little saw through rock, mud, and rain. Finally, someone stole it out of my truck. They must've needed it pretty badly. That being said...

We replaced it with a new 346xp NE. You guys are right. It's REALLY that good.
Haven't tried a 550 yet though.

But the 372xp is our bread and butter!!! I can't believe I UNDERAppreciated the 372xp so much that I tried to sell it for several months without even running it because we didn't need it. I'm so glad one day that all my other bigger saws broke down and I had no choice but to run the 372xp. It is our most used saw. Best saw I've ever owned. I think everyone that has worked for me takes that saw for granted. Again, best saw I've ever owned, it's not even close. And I've had and ran the following for a long period of time now:

Dolmar 5100s and 7900

Stihl ms 460 magnum x2
036, 360 pro, 361, and ms 660

For the tree business, you could buy one 372xp and it can do just about everything you need it to!

Lol...

I haven't done anything but read posts for the last several years, I don't even know how to rep someone anymore. Lol!

Any Help?

Two saws come to mind:

Homie 150 (35 y.o.) I bought for $20 and cleaned & repaired for a friend. (I had one too back in the day.) Large tanks, low vibes, and he couldn't stall it with 20" chipper chain buried in oak. Engine innards looked like new.

McC1435a 35cc Jenn Feng. I've beaten on it for 7+ yrs, only needed one carb rebuild. Like the Timex watch. Great endurance on its little tanks. Quiet. Excellent for limbing & bucking smaller stuff, and smooth enough to do that all day. Just wish they'd finished with the strato design. (Couple on ebay recently for $118.)

Neither has a fan club around here. Not a problem, I'm partial to tools that work, and give big BANG per buck.

I haven't done anything but read posts for the last several years, I don't even know how to rep someone anymore. Lol!

Any Help?

Click on the little star underneath someones avatar all the way to the left.

Oh by the way....have some rep! :msp_smile:

I'll say the 029/290. They get trashed on this site but we live in a rural area and every farmer around here has one ( they replaced their MAC 10-10s). I had one for my first new chainsaw and it did everything I needed it to do at the time without a minutes trouble. Hell I bet I sharpened a couple thousand locust fence stakes with it.

Poulan

These seem to be the cheapest saws so there are a lot of them sold. The ones in the yellow casing actually seem to take a pretty good amount of abuse. I know many who cut a lot of wood but will not spring for the good stuff. They beat these up pretty well but they just seem to keep on going. I have seen some of the green or purple ones that are total junk while I have seen others run quite well. The one thing I suggest is finding a carb adjustment tool as these are almost always WAY too lean for my liking. This will improve the performance and lifespan of the saw.

Conor

click on the star icon directly under the posters name, all the way at the bottom of their post. Welcome back!

Click on the little star underneath someones avatar all the way to the left.

Oh by the way....have some rep! :msp_smile:

Thanks! I did that before I asked and it didn't come up with the menu that I had seen in the past. (And the little sign afterwards that says something like, "may you be fortunate to have others rep you..." - that didn't come up either.) Then I thought, "Oh no! It looks like a Sheriff's badge, maybe I turned him in!" Lol. When I tried it again (after you told me) it worked with the menu I was accustomed to. Oh well...

Thanks again!

Rep back at ya'

I'll say the 029/290. They get trashed on this site but we live in a rural area and every farmer around here has one ( they replaced their MAC 10-10s). I had one for my first new chainsaw and it did everything I needed it to do at the time without a minutes trouble. Hell I bet I sharpened a couple thousand locust fence stakes with it.

Have to disagree, most over rated by the dealers who push it... 3.8hp????? plus it's heavy, hard to work on and built cheap. So many better saw out there. Steve

Back