Motor seized up ???PICS inc..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im tearing apart my buddys ice auger 49cc tecumseh motor 2 stroke,he said he drilled alot of holes the other day and then she seized up..Question is when i took the muffler off i noticed the exhaust leak between port and muffler,exhaust gasket was blew out partially, was this the reason it seized up?all damage is on exhaust side of engine...thanx...

Unlikely. It probably had an air leak somewhere. He did use fresh mixed gas and not straight gas right?

Generally damage to the exhaust side is due to the carb being set to lean, a air leak or there was not enough oil mixed into the gas. A loose muffler can cause problems but I can not say exactly what it can do, mostly because I have never ran into this situation myself.

isnt straight gas damage most often on the intake side?ice is about 30 inches thick now, claims he drilled about 25 holes (10")holes then it seized,he said it smelt pretty hot before she locked up??

The lose muffler would cause it to run pretty lean if it was leaking bad enough. Just like when you mod the muffler on a saw you need to richen it up.

isnt straight gas damage most often on the intake side?ice is about 30 inches thick now, claims he drilled about 25 holes (10")holes then it seized,he said it smelt pretty hot before she locked up??

Lean running or incorrect oil mixture damage is usually heavier on the exhaust side. This is because the exhaust side is much hotter, as the incoming air/fuel charge acts as a coolant to the intake side. Dirt ingestion or mechanical damage is basically the only things that will damage the seriously damage the intake side.

Latest posts

Back