mounting flashing lights on top of chipper chute?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I mounted a flashing light and a reversing camera on top of the discharge chute on my 250XP which seemed like a good idea at the time but ended up not being all that smart. Neither of them are working anymore. The camera has failed somehow and the glass on it has cracked, the bulb on the flashing light has cracked too.

Anyone mounted something up there, and if so how did you mount it to absorb all the vibration/impact? Spring mounted? Rubber mounted? Some combination of both?

295979d1368863721-img_1470-jpg

Shaun

I'd try a foam or rubber over a spring. They will dampen the vibration...the spring will just transfer it to multiple directions.

That is a good idea!

We installed our caution lights on 1590 a couple years ago and have not had any problems. Of course we did put rubber between the light and chipper frame. Works like a charm. They should be standard on every chipper from the factory.

Lights are cool... But is that a safety thing or just a novelty?

Chipper is so loud, I can't see how a flashing light is gonna help anything

But I like the idea...maybe a green neon kit for under the frame and a sparkly shiny spinning disco ball to hang from the chute...

Party on!

The caution light is usually used in conjunction with cones....traffic safety.

We use cones and "tree work ahead" signs...

But I'm still gonna look into some ground affects and a neon kit. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thats not really the ideal spot to mount stuff like lights or cameras. Usually strobe lights are mounted in conjuction with the tail lights. As for the camera, would it not be better to mount it on the truck, not the chipper?

I mounted a back up camera on the back of the chipper truck. Works awesome. My Bandit 65 is narrower than my truck and the camera is very convenient for backing up in tight spots. It's also handy while travelling down the highway to check on the chipper from time to time.

I've also recently added LED strobes to the back and front of the truck. Comes in handy when doing city work on the streets. Big safety addition to the cones.

Foam sounds like a good idea.

I've got a flashing light on the truck roof, and one on the chipper. We put signs and cones out. In my opinion, if you can't see/hear a chipper and truck then the flashing light isn't going to help you. where that stuff comes in handy though, is when you've got to park somewhere you shouldn't. Those flashing lights have magic powers, and they keep rangers, cops, and city workers far away from you. If you pull up on the side of the road in a no stopping zone to do some tree work then you're going to get in some trouble. If you've got flashing lights everybody leaves you alone.

I've got a camera mounted over the hitch, which is fantastic. Every truck ought to have one. I tried mounting the second one on the top of the truck on the cross bar but it was pretty useless. I moved it to the top of the chipper chute which is brilliant - you can easily see if anybody is behind the chipper raking, or if any gear is there, and when parallel parking you can back up real close to other cars quite safely. It's a great spot to have a camera, I just need to have it mounted so it won't break.

Shaun

on a past gig my state & contract regs required a flashing light mounted on chipper what a PITA could never get them to survive more than a month or week bulbs rotator fasteners all would fail in time ended with LED or strobe magnetic temporary ones would put em on when i knew audit due remove after.

I did use a post-pole with rubber section for a flasher once worked ok much muckin about to get it right

Revese camera good idea my ponder that with current gig as very cheap now but where & how to fix is Q

Whats wrong with that chipper?? A its just to clean neat tidy get it working lad get some muck on the chute n wheel guards :msp_wink:

Does seem tough to keep them going, I'm sure with the right mounting they'd survive.

I've got one mounted just above the license plate, and I've always had one mounted like that for years. It's brilliant for hitching the chipper up, you can see exactly what's going on at the rear. Having one on the chipper was nice for the week it survived, it's not a must have but it sure was sweet. You really can't see anything of what's going on back there when you're reversing.

That chipper is 15 years old mate, that photo was taken the day I resprayed it ;-) Needless to say it's filthy again already. Still looks a lot better than it did before the respray though, the paint was faded and chipped, stickers all peeling off, numerous weld repairs all over it and primer. Looks pretty tidy now, even with much all over it.

Shaun

Magnetic lights for driving. Velcro for the camera. Remove after your done. For on the chipper while running, led strip lights. The waterproof ones. They are flexible and completely encased in soft plastic. $5 on ebay for 12".

Latest posts

Back