Move from Stihl MS291 to Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished dialing in a CS-600P I picked up recently and I must say it’s pretty impressive after a muffler mod. I also swapped the high speed nozzle in the carb so I have full control over the fueling. Nothing wrong with a Echo they’re really nice saws.

Consider one of Charles Brisco's 4910s? They look like a mean saw from what I've seen of his videos and it would be light enough to wield all day long. I want one really bad. The 620p can get heavy after a few hours. My personal accountant says suck it up buttercup.

Alright, fellas and ladies, I need some expert opinions here. I have an MS291 that I've had for several years. I set myself down a rabbit hole on this site that has now made me thinking about buying a new CS-590 and moving on from my Stihl. Am I straight crazy, or is this a legit good move? I do moderate firewood cutting for my home and do more for camping and hunting, typically ponderosa pine. Not hard wood, but can be sizeable.

Thanks in advance
A
Alright, fellas and ladies, I need some expert opinions here. I have an MS291 that I've had for several years. I set myself down a rabbit hole on this site that has now made me thinking about buying a new CS-590 and moving on from my Stihl. Am I straight crazy, or is this a legit good move? I do moderate firewood cutting for my home and do more for camping and hunting, typically ponderosa pine. Not hard wood, but can be sizeable.

Thanks in advance
Have never run a ms291 BUT I own a SIMILAR saw, the Smaller cc's ms029 AND I also own an Echo cs59O which is almost 60 cc saw..My Timberwolf cs590 is my favorite bigger saw..The Sthil 029 is almost as heavy and with mods including bar, chain rim drive, 3/8 chain etc it's a GOOD cutting saw.. BUT the Echo is just a really good crowd pleaser.. BUT with the Echo think Horse trainer.. IT WILL NOT be as impressive for the first few times of use. THE MORE you use it the Better it gets..Mine is a real screamer BUT it takes some break in time..The cs590 is close to the same weight as my Shtil 029 and does more..The sthil 026 don't seem to cut any better than the echo cs490. I loved Sthil for years but now I date Echo only..This is like Religion.. It's all opinion and I'm a Echo Preacher. I DO NOT get paid to preach my love for Echo. It's how I feel.. My 590 is a JOY to operate..The Shtil saws, 024, 026, 029, stay at home most of the time..Your mileage may vary..

I have an echo cs-620. I would recommend it as that is what I have experience with, and it's not a huge jump in cost between the two, but i'm sure the 590 is great if you want to go with it.

Probably half my posts on this site say roughly this, but again, my newest saw is a Stihl 461. My first SthiI, love it so far. That being said, I'm no lesser a fan of the echo line, if anything, the opposite. (funnily enough, I was going to buy another 620, called around and found one, went to the store and they didn't have actually have it, and decided to get a stihl, and got something bigger, which has come in handy)

I wanted a "pro" saw, love the 461, glad I bought it, but the echo stuff (at least my 620) is great. WAAAAY smaller gap in quality than you would expect for the price. But, the 620 is made in Japan, not sure about the 590.

I'm biased, I have echo everything (blower, string trimmer, power pole saw) but I'm happy with them. If I have one thing against echo, it's not distributing their best products through the big box stores. If someone said to me "I need a chainsaw, recommend me one saw for everything, I would probably say an echo 620, or 590, but most of the big box stores don't have them. Back before I knew anything, I bought a cs-400 at home depot. I don't think there was a $100 bill n price between that and a 590, but they are worlds apart in utility. I don't understand why they push crap through the big box stores, when they have way better products.

Well, then...sure, the Echo will pull a similar bar somewhat better than the 291. It will be new and have a bit more displacement.

And, the warranty.

I would caution you on placing a lot of faith in the warranty. It seems, I read a lot of posts where guys get hosed regarding warranty support. I am sure it would help to buy your Echo from a servicing dealer.

Roy
Not my experience.. MY dealer jerked me off with my month old cs352. I drove over 100 miles when the plastic clutch chain catch ( a small plastic part) snapped off almost immediately..Just knowing SINCE I had bought it at a Dealer I would be treated with Respect.. NOPE.. did not happen..Back then HOME DEPOT was selling the same saw.. I knew a guy that took his back and they gave him his money back.. I am TOLD the newer replacement 34.cc saw the cs3510 has a metal chain catch BUT I have not verified that...Frankly,,, I'll not use my dealer again UNLESS it's a MUST situation.. The good help is gone and I'm not crazy about the ones there now..MY OPINION.. Yes. I gave them a 5 star rating and bought 4 chainsaws before the urinated in my soup..I NEVER hate but I never forget where the cotton mouths live and where the wasp nest are built...Home Depot and LOWES are known to take stuff back..Surely someone else has a different opinion.. Be blessed..

WISH I had one like that.. Dealers are like wives. NEVER know when they will be good or cheat on you..FIND a GOOD one STICK with him/her..I've been divorced since 1993. Ever since just the thought of wedding cake breaks me out in red itchy welts. Ha Ha..

Thanks in advance
A muffler mod and tune will really wake that 291 up. The have a tube inside the muffler about an 1/4 inch. I bought one when they first came out, it now has close to 500 loads of wood cut. The carb has pins that limit the adjustment you will have to remove them. The muffler I cut 5 louvers on opposite of the exhaust.

I had an echo 590 when I joined here, Now… Well it’s easy for this site and the other to spend your money. I liked the 590 and for the cost it can’t be beat. The bug has bitten.38883241-08B3-40FD-AD84-6E148B902150.jpeg

Back