Moving a Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K

Reaction score
I recently had a landscape plan done and part of the plan involves moving a japanese maple. I was told that the tree may not survive in its current location due to being exposed to too much of the south sun during the winter (SE corner of house). I was told to move it to the NW side of the house. The tree is a "Fireglow" which is an improved bloodgood and seems to be doing fine where it is.

Do I need to move the tree? If so, how should I go about this. The tree is about 7-foot and it has been about a year since it was first planted. It was potted, not B&B.

Last edited:
The problem is that durring a spring with a slight warm up it could start to bud out too early. this can cause fros kill. You are not too far different from us up here in MKE.

I would go with the move to a sheltered northern exposure, 'Bloodgood' does well in shade. Hold the move off till early fall so the plant does not have the stress of the move and hot weather to contend with at the same time.

I always recomend avoiding summer planting of anything.

Back