Moving a used wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was looking into buying a wood stove and my neighbor mentioned he wanted to get rid of his. He just bought it two years ago and only used it a few times. He ran into some health issues and is not capable of using it. he said he would give it to me, I figured I would do some yard work/snow removal for him or something as a thank you. My question is, can you move a used stove and reinstall it without damaging anything?

I bought mine used. We moved it without any problems. Be sure to use a hand truck or something like it. Are you talking about moving an insert or free standing?

Its a free standing stove. Someone mentioned that the brick or stone thats inside could crumble, but that was just speculation by somebody who doesn't even have a stove. I figured I would just check with you all before I did anything.

I would remove the brick to lighten up the load (a little). It's pretty weak stuff but not all that fragile if you’re careful. You may be able to take the doors off too lighten it up as well.

If you are worried about the fire brick breaking, you can remove it prior to moving the stove. Otherwise, there isn't a problem other than the weight of the unit.

Take the bricks out, that removes a lot of the weight. I mark them with a marker, so I can put them back in the same way. If any break, go to Menards/home depot/lowes and buy a box of them for $7 for 9. Take the door off if it comes off. When you go to put it back together, clean the ashes out very good all the way into the cracks, maybe use a vacuum. The bricks fit inside there TIGHT, like a puzzle sometimes. Ash stuck in the corners or under the bricks will screw up putting it back together.

I've moved several with no problems. The bricks can last for years, but you crack a few putting them in and out.

Latest posts

Back