Moving heat throughout house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967 Tempest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Napoleon insert is the greatest. But my ranch house is very long. I have the little doorway fans in the other rooms.
I can not get the hot air from wood stove into my heating ducts. (I would be sweating if I could)
Does anyone have a solution that works for them?

Moving cold air is more effective that trying to move the hot air. Displace the cold air and it will draw the warm air into the "void" so to speak. Not an expert by any way shape or form. I have a small 8" duct fan strapped to the under side of a floor register pulling cold air into the basement on the oposite side of the house from the stove. Didn't need a blower on the stove at all and the far end of the house was always warm.

Moving cold air is more effective that trying to move the hot air. Displace the cold air and it will draw the warm air into the "void" so to speak. Not an expert by any way shape or form. I have a small 8" duct fan strapped to the under side of a floor register pulling cold air into the basement on the oposite side of the house from the stove. Didn't need a blower on the stove at all and the far end of the house was always warm.

I'm gonna try that!!

I have a fan setting at the end of the hallway. The stove is at the other end of the house. Works pretty good for me. Set it for non-oscilllating.

fan.jpg

So you too are displacing the hot air with the cold. I just got an 8" booster fan. I'm gonna install it into the duct near wood stove. Push the cold air into the hit room from the duct work. I'll report back .

My set-up is perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except she who must be obeyed does not allow a wood burner in the house:cry::cry:

I have 14' vaulted ceiling in the great room with the cold air return sitting pretty above the corner where the wood burner needs to be.

Chitt a pack O' batteries and a decent fan would keep the whole house toasty even if the power was off.

002.JPG

The Queens' remote frickin' frackin' propane fireplace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AAAaaaarrrrrgggggh.

She does know me though.

I'd be stokin that stove and making a big old mess!

My set-up is perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except she who must be obeyed does not allow a wood burner in the house:cry::cry:

I have 14' vaulted ceiling in the great room with the cold air return sitting pretty above the corner where the wood burner needs to be.

Chitt a pack O' batteries and a decent fan would keep the whole house toasty even if the power was off.
there would be a one way discussion about that................................and after the install,,
SHE would probably firing the hell out of it,,cause SHE wants to be warm..................mess?? only on how much mess you want to create...

Fan installed. I have the wood stove full and on high to get the heat up. Currently it was 71 in living room and 61 on other side of house. Lets see if displacement works!

popcorn.gif

I've found that you have to move LOTS of air for it to be effective. I'm actually removing a thru-wall fan this weekend, opening the hole larger, trimming it out and going to put in a better fan. It pulls air from the peak of my cathedral ceiling in the family room and pushes it into the hallway upstairs. I can almost heat the entire house right now even on the coldest days. My goal is to fully heat the house with the stove, which I think will be obtainable once I get the new fan install done. I also use a second fan that sits on the kitchen floor and blows the cool air into the family room. Kind of creates a whole house circulation between the 2 fans.

wow. just wow!!!! nice of your wife to keep your B@!!5 in her purse for you... i wouldn't/couldn't live like that, i'd rather dig a deep hole and find an alibi. but to each their own. i'm also single with no kids or ex-wife's at 33yo. so what do i know. aint been where you are.

Some people are just freaked out by having a fire in their house. Those of us that enjoy it, wouldn't be without it. Luckily my wife grew up with a wood stove in her house. Her and both kids love the heat. She sometimes comments how cold it is when we visit other people who don't have a wood stove in their home.

you have a point. i was always worried about burning the house down cause i kept the fire going when i left the house. the owb solved that.

you have a point. i was always worried about burning the house down cause i kept the fire going when i left the house. the owb solved that.
I sometimes think about it too. I have a nice large hearth and any coals that happen to make their way out of the stove always fall on a non-combustible surface. I always keep my stove in good operating order and the flue is kept clean. I always burn it correctly/at the right temperature range. That's the safest I can be with it. Someday I would really like to put a wood fired boiler in my detached shop/barn and run pex into the house. That way if there ever was a fire, it would burn down the barn and not endanger any people.

Latest posts

Back