Moving on to Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took a couple of days off with the intention of spending a little time with my oldest, who is home from Purdue on Fall break, and taking advantage of the free labor. I have a sizeable Ash tree standing dead in the yard. It was complicated by a severe lean to the left, agrevated by some large branches heading left. See pic below.

TwoAshsmall-1.jpg

We knocked it down within a few feet of our intended target. I was pleased. A nice 32" tree with 24' before the first branch.

Ashtree1.jpg

Ashtree11.jpg

Since I laways need firewood, we started blocking up the top of the tree. I enjoyed the help and the conversation between running the saws.

Ashtree2.jpg

My trusty 064 ran like a champ. Zach used the 044.

Ashtree4.jpg

I also found some nice 8' sections about 14" daimeter that I will set aside for milling.

Ashtree3.jpg

Ashtree5.jpg

I will save two nice 8' sections of the 30" trunk to mill as well. I have not used Ash in the shop, but others like working with it. I understand that it drys nicely as well. It will be nice to mill something at home for a change. Easy access. Enjoy.

Good work and good pics. Looks like you will get some good lumber and firewood out of that stuff! And congrats on taking the time to do some cutting with your son, that's good father-and-son time for sure! I'm actually quite envious - try as I may I can't get my old man to come out and cut a darned thing with me.

Mansion

No mansions. 1907 dutch colonial. A wood furnace in the walk out portion of the basement. I usually burn 3 cords a winter. My splitter is out of commision waiting for my Case tractor to get back together.

blanks

Dusty, were'nt you looking for some bat blanks??? 3X3X48??? I cant remember the size. If I can get a nice four foot section it will be easy. What dimension do you need?

You got it. Those dimensions would be perfect. I would love to be there when you slice her up. Looks like its gonna be a lot of fun. I milled up a cherry In 1 1/4 inch thickness Saturday and was real pleased with the results Ill try to post a few pics as soon as we get a new digital cam. Seems like the small log mill is a little less accurate than the larger mill, dont know if its where the bar is only supported on one end only or what. But still good results anyway. Good luck with her.

Borer

I don't know why Mike. I have lost 4-5 Ash trees in the last few years. I have heard about Ash Borers? I don't know how I would tell.

On visual inspection you will see small D-shaped holes in the bark. Then the tree will start losing its crown and sending suckers up from the trunk and along main branches. This can take a season or two. But once the bugs are in there it is just a matter of time.

Damned shame that we're going to lose all these ash trees like we lost the elm back in the day.

Nice pics, nice job dropping the tree and missing that shed or anything else. As for working with son... my Dad is 78, but we still spend every 5th or 6th weekend in the woods together up at his little farm, cutting trees, milling, hauling firewood.

I love working with ash in the woodshop. I like the way it smells when run through a planer or table saw. Has a kinda sweet smell to it, unique. I have managed to accumulate close to a thousand feet of it so far. Yes it dries nice and easy, never had any problems with ash as I do with oak or birch of even cherry sometimes drying.

I see in your pics what could be some serious crotch figure... hope that turns out nice for you. Trying to mill for nice crotch figure is often a crapshoot.

Ash

Woodshop, does Ash keep that real light almost white color after it drieas? Thanks.

woodshop said:
Nice pics, nice job dropping the tree and missing that shed or anything else. As for working with son... my Dad is 78, but we still spend every 5th or 6th weekend in the woods together up at his little farm, cutting trees, milling, hauling firewood.

I love working with ash in the woodshop. I like the way it smells when run through a planer or table saw. Has a kinda sweet smell to it, unique. I have managed to accumulate close to a thousand feet of it so far. Yes it dries nice and easy, never had any problems with ash as I do with oak or birch of even cherry sometimes drying.

I see in your pics what could be some serious crotch figure... hope that turns out nice for you. Trying to mill for nice crotch figure is often a crapshoot.

I am kind of a sugar maple freak myself. Love the smell of it the shop.

hautions11 said:
Woodshop, does Ash keep that real light almost white color after it dries? Thanks.
As olyman said, yes... keeps that rather creamy white color you started with, maybe a little darker, but not as dark as red or white oak heartwood. In fact, thats a good way to explain what ash looks like, kinda like the sapwood of oak, but without the rays oak has. Even with oil or amber colored shellac on it, it is still lighter color than oak. Just look at an ash baseball bat, one that has not been stained.

Back