Moving on to Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you had a lot of fun. I played with my 084 some today. Once I feel it's broken in good enough I'll get back to milling. I need to do some more cross cutting but all I have are saw logs. I even offered to cut firewood for a friend for free but we got rained out.

Are you using the bars you converted to 3/8" here?

converting bars

Yes Aggie,

I have a 25" and a 32" bar that I converted from 404 to 3/8. They seam to work really well. I took sandard Stihl RM chain and ground it to 10 degrees, similar to bailey's. I would like to try some more exotic grinds in the future. I like the looks of the Granberg grind, haven't tried one yet. Since these logs are at my house, they offer a little more opportunity for playing with different chain types.

Logs

Here are the logs I saved from the ash tree. Unfortunatly the bottom 8' had the entire center section rotted out. There was a hole in the side of the trunk and 6' of the 8 was bad. I still have plenty as the logs should yield 250 Bd Ft of nice lumber.

Here is the rundown:

A nice 18" stright piece with no limbs.

18inch.jpg

28" very straight and only a little taper

Ashlog1.jpg

This section had two huge limbs coming off of it and it may have some interesting figure,

Ashlogsmall.jpg

This nice littel 4" section will probably end up as a few bat blanks for Rusty Tools. It is rotten on one end, but should produce a few 3 X 3 blanks.

Bats.jpg

I hope to make a little sawdust this week-end! It sounds like across the board there are going to be a lot of mills running!:clap: :clap:

Back