Moving small amount of logs from land to mill and back . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf26

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

So Im building a small cabin and am using lumber from the land. Ive milled a number of timbers myself with a chainsaw mill, intend to hew more, and had been intending to mill/hew them all myself. But, after some difficulties with the mill (see the post called: Trouble with Alaskan Mill, especially Mini Mill), Im thinking about bringing some logs to a mill and having them do it for me. Money may be the prohibitive factor here, but if another mill cut them for me, I think I will get 1) squarer timbers (key since I’ll be timber framing), 2) less resource/energy intensive – and I hypothesize this may even be true with the energy it would take to get the wood there and back, and 3) more wood than just the timbers (with the chainsaw mill, when Im milling for a large timber, its not always possible or efficient to get smaller boards as well, meaning theres lots of “waste”). Money is the only concern, as milling them myself with the chainsaw mill only costs the price of gas (of which is uses a lot), and takes lots of my time.

So, my questions for you all are:
1. What are cheap ways to get my logs to a place where a truck could pick them up and bring them to a mill? I don’t have any power equipment myself, so Im talking about a winch, or a skidder. Preferably a winch as some of the logs are less accessible, and I don’t necessarily want to cut a skidder trail just for them. Where would I find someone able to come and help me with this (a logging company?)
2. How could I get the logs to the mill? Do mills sometimes have vehicles themselves? Would I rent a flatbed truck?
3. What do sawyers generally charge when they mill your own wood? How common is it that they may need another helper and could reduce their rate if I acted as their second pair of hands?

I guess that’s it. I know these questions are often location specific, and I live in Western Massachusetts, but writing them down is helpful for me, and maybe one or two of you has some good answers.

Thanks a lot . . .

I would do some looking for a local guy with a portable mill. He could mill them for you on site. I have done it in the past. It works out really well if you make sure you have enough logs there for him to make it worth while for both of you. Around here the cost is usually $200-220 for a 1000 board feet. You'll have to pay him mileage also.

You should do some checking with his previous clients. I've hired a bandmill guy that was so fast I ended up with some 1X boards that were 2 1/2 inches on the other side. It was still worth it but a waste of a few boards. He made 800 bft in an hour or so. I was ran ragged.

If you take it to the mill it gonna cost you around $30-45 an hour depending on the mill. It's still cheaper to hire a portable mill when you figure in your time and fuel. BB

I agree with BB that a portable mill on your site would be in your best interest for what your wanting. You'll need to get all your logs ready and in place for him when he comes. I don't know how steep your land is where you want to get the logs or how big the logs are your wanting to get but a small log arch and a 4 wheeler will go a long way in most places. That is the advantage of the Alaskan mills is you can mill in place ad carry the wood out.

As to your mini-mill problems, you said it is bent and this could be all your problems. Something loose or not having it tight on the guide rail could also cause this. A chain sharpened incorrectly will also make the chain want to pull to one side and can cause problems.

Milling enough wood by chainsaw to build a cabin has to be a labor of love and pride in doing it from tree to structure by yourself. Good luck.

Hi guys, Thanks for the responses.

I would love to get a portable mill on site, but I dont think its really possible. The land is almost completely forested, with just one short, steep gravel drive. The only flat spot that could be a possibility currently has an old trailer on it. All that aside, even if there was a flat spot, I would have to move all the logs there, which I dont currently have the means to. I think 4 wheelers with arches are great, but it certainly wouldnt make sense to buy this equipment just for this project. This land isnt mine, and there wouldnt be any need for it past this current application.

So, if I were to get my friend and his tractor and winch up to the land, then I could move all the logs and get someone to drive them over to someones portable mill, which is what I've been thinking about. I talked to a man a few towns over with a Woodmizer, and he would charge $65 an hour if I brought him my logs. He thought 10-15 logs wouldnt take much more than a morning. Im still looking to see if theres anyone milling in the same town as me. But, if my friend and his tractor wont make it out here, then I'd have to find some other way of pulling the logs out.

So many options. I so appreciate everyones thoughts and responses.

You might try Bailey's maybe they know of a Lucas mill is in your area they are pretty portable.

You could try calling Woodmiser,Cooks, Hudsun and a few of the other band mill companys, they would know where the mills are in your area.

I've used a log truck in the past I recall it costing around $150 for him to pickup a huge log for me. I've also used a rollback truck and he charged something like $75.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys,

I'll try to remember to post pictures when I decide on my plan of action, and when I see it to fruition.

Latest posts

Back