MS 170 vs PS 341

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Dolmar401 might be on the way out and the 420 will be heavy for 40cc. I called my dealer today ,who handles Husky Dolmar Shindaiwa Echo, and he said "why do you want one of those". I said nice light limbing saw. He said it was not bad but had some flaws. For one hard to start the way the pull rope is reduced, one has to pull real fast. Another flaw is a small gas tank. Also heavier than advertised. He suggested I come up and try out some other saws like Shindaiwa or echo. My Husky 41 is the same size why would it out cut better? I did notice in the specs that the 401 max. RPM is 12K? seems kind of slow! It seems like finding the right small saw is harder than a medium to big one!

I called my dealer today ,who handles Husky Dolmar Shindaiwa Echo, and he said "why do you want one of those". I said nice light limbing saw. He said it was not bad but had some flaws. For one hard to start the way the pull rope is reduced, one has to pull real fast. Another flaw is a small gas tank. Also heavier than advertised. He suggested I come up and try out some other saws like Shindaiwa or echo. My Husky 41 is the same size why would it out cut better? I did notice in the specs that the 401 max. RPM is 12K? seems kind of slow!

Well, my 341 (basically same design as 401, less powerful) is very easy to start. When cold, 2 pulls on choke, 1-2 pulls on start. Even has a decompression valve.....How much easier can it get? :dizzy:

Small gas tank? They are 13.3oz. as compared to Stihl 180 @ 8.5oz.....small Echos are rated @ 9.5oz. but are listed about a 1lb. lighter than the Dolmar. Small Shindaiwas have a larger fuel tank 13.5oz. like the Dolmar but weigh a pound more than the 401.....12,000rpm low for these small saws? The 339xp that SawTroll recommended is listed @ 9600rpm.....I don't see where the others list their rpm. As far as weight goes, that is nonsense too. They are plenty light/nimble enough!

Sounds like dealer BS to me.:censored: Probably trying to sell a Echo or Shindaiwa that he can't unload to anyone else.

If there is a flaw with the 341/401 it's the bar oil fill hole is too small (can get messy) and Dolmar getting rid of the adjustable oiler but you can buy the adjustable oiler for $12.00 if it bothers you that much.

I have no experience with the other saws mentioned here, but I absolutely love my MS180 with a good chain. Look at my sig. If I were to sell all but two saws, it would be my 180 and 460 I'd keep. It really is that good of a little limbing saw. It turns about 14,800 WOT. I run a non-safety chain from Baileys. Don't remember the model.

I have no experience with the other saws mentioned here, but I absolutely love my MS180 with a good chain. Look at my sig. If I were to sell all but two saws, it would be my 180 and 460 I'd keep. It really is that good of a little limbing saw. It turns about 14,800 WOT. I run a non-safety chain from Baileys. Don't remember the model.

I bought an Ms 180 in the uk about 6 weeks ago cost me about £150 or $300
I use it for cutting cord wood below 8" to prepare before putting through the processor. Has standard chain found it an excellent saw the thin chain cuts well. I may be better with medium sized pro saw but my 180 is very light and i can work all day. half the time it is idleing on the floor while i move the timber so wastes less fuel. Even at our high prices my saw is almost disposable and if it gets crushed or chain damaged its cheap to replace. I know alot of people ridecule and say its a rose pruner but i like it:clap:

Well Fastcast, I am glad you like your saw and I appreciate your comments. I am going to look into the 401 somemore. It has many "pro" saw feachers. I guess most dealers will try to sell what they have and are familiar with. This dealer has treated me good. I called two more dealers in the area and none has a 401. Are they drying up already? Who knows? :dizzy:

:monkey:

LOL, the max rpm of the 339xp is 13,800 - 9,600 is the max power rpm.

12K max is very low!

I see. That must be rpm in the cut? Either way the point was, most of the dealers line was BS....... Further more the 339xp cost almost twice as much as the 401 and should have more rpm......apples & oranges.

I'd bet the difference in those two saws isn't worth $200+ so......LOL :monkey: back at ya.....

Well Fastcast, I am glad you like your saw and I appreciate your comments. I am going to look into the 401 somemore. It has many "pro" saw feachers. I guess most dealers will try to sell what they have and are familiar with. This dealer has treated me good. I called two more dealers in the area and none has a 401. Are they drying up already? Who knows? :dizzy:

New Makita DCS 401 on Ebay are $225 plus shipping.:chainsaw:

This makes the most sense. The ms180 with the right carb or even a mufflermod and a retune can be tuned to run very fast and you won't break the bank. The one ultra has can tear up some wood fast and stock they are pretty decent for the price. I would think that type of saw would be very useful if you carry it for any length of time or cut for extended periods of time you might not be able to cut bigger trees quickly but im sure it would serve it's purpose. I would like to hear a little more about Dolmar saws all I seem to read about are the pro saws. It would be nice to get some more user input the rest of Dolmars lineup.

Last edited:
Huskydave

I too would like to here more about the small Dolmar saws. I was looking at Dolmar website. The PS-350c makes 2.2hp at 9lbs not far off from a 401 and 13.5K rpm. May cut faster than a 401. I don't know.:dizzy: PS-420 2.9hp at 9.7lb. I wonder what the price will be and do they have a priming pump? I think a primig pump is very useful!

I have a 180 That has a muff mod and it cuts up to 8" great. I have beat the tar out of it and it keeps running, That said, I think the front handle is weak, and the air filter design could be better,

It cuts alot faster than my husky 240:cry: 240 is a slow animal, I think its the muffler

I too would like to here more about the small Dolmar saws. I was looking at Dolmar website. The PS-350c makes 2.2hp at 9lbs not far off from a 401 and 13.5K rpm. May cut faster than a 401. I don't know.:dizzy: PS-420 2.9hp at 9.7lb. I wonder what the price will be and do they have a priming pump? I think a primig pump is very useful!

Those numbers on the 350/420 is a bit optimistic, where did you find them? :censored:

I see. That must be rpm in the cut? Either way the point was, most of the dealers line was BS....... Further more the 339xp cost almost twice as much as the 401 and should have more rpm......apples & oranges.

I'd bet the difference in those two saws isn't worth $200+ so......LOL :monkey: back at ya.....

That difference sure is worth it too me - but everyone to his own......:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll-www.dolmarpowerproducts.com

I believe all manufactures fudge their numbers. So it makes comparisons difficult. If one could use the saws for a while it would be so easy. I hold a persons opinion in high regard when they have used competing products that I am interested in. So let opinionated people speak. I will listen and then choose.

I would like to hear a little more about Dolmar saws all I seem to read about are the pro saws. It would be nice to get some more user input the rest of Dolmars lineup.[/QUOTE]

I ran the first tank of fuel through my Makita DCS 401 today. Side by side with my 40cc Craftsman/Poulan(2000 model) and the Makita is faster in the cut, and MUCH smoother. In that the saw was new, I avoided the nasty, dead, black locust, and cut green oak and poplar up to 14" or so.

This is a lightweight saw at 8#12 oz(powerhead) on my scale. The 16" bar takes 56 link 3/8 .050 91 series chain. The crank case is magnesium, and it has, and needs, the decompression valve. This saw starts very easily.

Downsides? The small oil filler hole, front chain tesioner, and possibly the single stud/nut for the bar, but hey, that single stud/nut is good enough for the Stihl 200s....I don't see and adjuster for the oiler, but it seemed to oil well.

Did I mention how smooth it is? Its also relatively quiet. Fit and finish is excellent, and feels less plastic-like than Stihl or Husky. If you want a lightweight saw, get one while you can!

Oh, and the Craftsman...$15 at a yardsale.:dizzy: It doesn't seem to have AV, and no chain brake. It cuts better than I would have expected, and continues despite stump cutting duties and dead black locust.:censored:

Excess650

How would you compare the 401 to your small echos for light work. Is the increase in weight very noticable? Also does the 401 have carburator prime pump? The Dolmar literature says they have a second port just for idel. Does anyone know if this is to helpstarting?:confused:

I believe all manufactures fudge their numbers. So it makes comparisons difficult. If one could use the saws for a while it would be so easy. I hold a persons opinion in high regard when they have used competing products that I am interested in. So let opinionated people speak. I will listen and then choose.

Just to illustrate, the Dolmar 420 weights the same as the original 024 from the early 1980ies, and has a tad less power.

It also weights the same as the ol' Husky 242xp, and has .7hp less....

Dolmar really needs to put out a 4200S version of that one.........

..and the 350 - puke.....:jawdrop:

Last edited:
How would you compare the 401 to your small echos for light work. Is the increase in weight very noticable? Also does the 401 have carburator prime pump? The Dolmar literature says they have a second port just for idel. Does anyone know if this is to helpstarting?:confused:

The weight difference between small Echo 306/3450/345/346 and the Makita/Dolmar DCS 401 is 1.3#, and NOT felt when cutting. I do feel the difference when moving from the Echo or Makita to the 40cc Craftsman. The 39cc Makita has a huge power advantage over the 33.4cc Echos, and is SMOOTH.

There is no purge valve on the Makita, but it does have a decomp valve, and starting is incredibly easy(with the decomp).

The Makita/Dolmar DCS 401 IS the saw that I will teach my wife to cut with. It is light enough for her to handle, very easy to start, and has enough power without being intimidating.

You'll find the Makita DCS401 on Ebay for $225 or so plus shipping. It is the Dolmar in Makita blue.:chainsaw:

Others to consider would be the Echo CS-400(40cc), CS-370(36cc), or the 345/3450/346(34cc) variety. The CS-400s have been selling for around $200 plus shipping, CS-370s about $180, and new CS-346s (7.5#)from $150-$200.

My CS-3450 bought used on Ebay is my favorite limbing saw with 14" bar. :chainsaw: The Makita DCS401 is intended to be the 'tweener before resorting to the Stihl MS290, McCulloch PM610, or Stihl 066 Magnum.:greenchainsaw:

Excess650,

I've been looking for a CS-346 and the lowest price that I can find is $245 shipped. Can you tell me where you found them that cheap?

I take it that you buy the Makita DCS401 before you'd buy the Echo CS0346. I'm will be using this for limbing. Since you own both any advice would be appreciated.

Are parts easy to get for the Makita?

Danny

Latest posts

Back