Ms 180 or Echo 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawcrasher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking small, light saw to replace old homelite super 2. I only want to spend around $200 and stay less than 9 lb. My questions are will a 180 hold up as well as the echo and are either of these saws fast enough that I'll put the down 361?

Though I do like my cs3000...I don't like it's chain adjuster or it's air filter location. Ditto for the 346. Most posts on the 180 have been positive and though I think it used to have the same crummy front adjuster I beleive they all have the quick adjust now - which may be handy on that saw.

But I basically don't pick up my 3000 any more. 361 mostly. Then 025.

Chaser

I Love :heart: my little MS 180 :) I use mine for smaller climbing jobs + limbing on the same and "Little Bubba" has been a hero so far :rock: He is both light weight + he has more power than you would expect for a saw in the $200.00 range IMO :) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Get the 180.ou will like the power and the chain adjuster. Good saw for the money.:rock:

I just picked up an 018c for my wife to use as a limbing saw so she can help with the firewood. I got it used so it was cheap a 14" pmn chain and bar is a great investment it is light great anti-vibe pleanty of power for this set-up nothing to complain about. Grab an ms180c and never look back.

Thanks computeruser, I checked that thread a few days ago, Might be what got the echo in my head. Does anyone know if parts stay available for a while (10 years or so) on discontinued echos? How about piston rings on these saws 1 or 2? Or which cuts faster?

Talon and Just Mow, Do you guys like that chain adjuster, It was one of things I was afraid of- looks kinda breakable.

How about the Husky 336?

It probably is a bit more than 200 USD, but it should be a way better option than those discussed here so far - where is Mike Maas????

Last edited:
I like that strange looking little husky, but its going for about $360-400 usd. Cheaper than ms 200 but more than what I want to spend for a small saw. It seems my small saws are the ones that get the abuse.

kawcrasher said:
Talon and Just Mow, Do you guys like that chain adjuster, It was one of things I was afraid of- looks kinda breakable.
It makes it easy to use. I do have to clean it out a little more than the regular adjuster but I have not run into any problems and the saw is over two years old.

Just Mow said:
It makes it easy to use. I do have to clean it out a little more than the regular adjuster but I have not run into any problems and the saw is over two years old.
I agree with Just Mow......It just takes a little longer to clean out the clutch cover area. A cool way to adjust the chain without having tools ;) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

kawcrasher said:
I like that strange looking little husky, but its going for about $360-400 usd. Cheaper than ms 200 but more than what I want to spend for a small saw. It seems my small saws are the ones that get the abuse.
Btw, I just noticed that the 339xp now is made availiable in the US as well - at last some real competition for the MS200.....:blob2: :blob2:

I went to check out some saws yesterday at my kubota dealer. But all really learned is that its time to find a new dealer.I knew more about the 180 than he did, but if he didn't know the answer he was quick to make something up, only 1 pro saw a 441, no echos although he is a echo dealer, and no husky pro saws- told me there was no difference between husky pro saw and a homeowner saw. Also no chance of bar/chain swaps said he would have order anything other 14" and safety chain, he don't even stock anything but safety chain. I did get to handle a 180 and I think its moving down on my list. So now I'm looking for a new saw and new dealer.

If all you want to spend is $200.00.........you will not get a real saw and your choices are extremely limited. Find a real dealer......he sounded like an idiot :bang: Maybe look at Ebay for a used saw ;) I would buy the MS 180......it is tough to beat at $200.00 :biggrinbounce2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

computeruser said:
Yup, find a new dealer. You'll quickly learn that it is a waste of your time to ask 99.9% of saw dealers anything.

As for a saw, you can get the little Echo for about $160 new in box on eBay.

I think that you are a little harsh on the dealers. In my experience only about 98% are useless. Unfortunately that is not unique to saws. It applies to everything from toasters to trucks.

I'm also fond of the little Echos. Nothing bad to say about them.

The echo is looking pretty good. Got Shindiawa(?) dealer near by might go look at a 360. It is ashame to see a decent dealer go down hill thought.I'm not sure if I even still want to deal with them for tractor parts anymore. I am going to find a new saw dealer for sure.

I found a dealer today that seemed pretty good, real helpful and didn't even seem to mind muffler mods. Any he has 2 009L's left and will let them go for the same $ as a ms180. No AV but an adjustable carb and .5 hp and only .4lb heavier. What do you guys think of these old saws?

Back